1980 rm250

Hey guys, newbie here, I have bought my first bike, a 198p rm250 with what I was told was a bad top end, tore into it and the piston is broke. No biggie, parts availability of this old girl is getting scarce tho, is there another engine, ie 2stroke air cooled, that u can bolt into this in the future??? 

As far as I know there is not a modern Air Cooled 2 stroke engine that can readily replace that engine. I can't think of a single MX bike that is being built new with an AC motor( 250cc 2 stroke ). So your best bet is to fix it, sell it and get a new bike. 

Get in touch with Wiesco.  They make pistons for virtually every two stroke engine ever made.

I have found the wiesco part for this, I was more concerned with the remainder of the bikes replacement parts.. what is the newest air cooled two stroke or 4 stroke for that matter I can get in a 250??

You would be better served to re-build the motor that came in the bike.  I can't think of or recommend anything newer for a replacement engine.

Suzuki made major changes to their frames and suspensions right around this time frame, so any of their later engines probably wouldn't bolt in.  A couple of years after this they introduced water cooling so those motors won't work without a lot of work as well.

Again they went away from AC in the early 80's. You could make any engine within reason fit in that frame it just takes time and money. If it was me I would fix it, sell it then buy a more current bike. Late 90's+. 

That's the plan. Fix and plot the rm and buy something else, 

If I am not mistaken, 1980 may have been the last of the twin shock RM Suzuki motocross bikes.  Which might make it more valuable for you to restore the old engine than replace it with a newer one.

Edited by GlennRay
Added thought

1980 rm250 is highly sought after for vintage mx. Put it back together as original. Parts are readily available

The best handling twin shock that Suzuki ever made.  I believe that some of the riders who initially transitioned to the single shock bikes liked them less than the 1980.

Michigan does have a strong vintage racing series (District 14), even in rough condition you should be able to sell it.

As for installing an updated engine, it's pretty unlikely that one will come close to bolting in.  Reason being is that the 1980 RM's were the last generation that used separate mounting for the swingarm and the rear engine mount. Also, the exhaust port comes out at an angle not straight ahead like a modern 2t. So a modern engine's exhaust port would go directly into the frame...  So really, it's just not worth the effort.

Fix it or sell it "as is".