My ignorant handle bar question

See the photo of my bars?

See the "cross brace" (don't know what it's called) that's 1/2" in diameter that's clamped to the handle bars and goes from side to side?  (Padding has been removed from it).

I'd like to remove that to make for a cleaner install of my Garmin Montana.

Is this cross brace a structural part of the handle bars?  Does it need to be there for strength?

Thanks

DRZ handle bars.JPG

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure it is not a structural part & unless you are landing wheelies regularly I don't think it'll make a difference…

14 minutes ago, farnorthdriver said:

See the "cross brace" (don't know what it's called) that's 1/2" in diameter that's clamped to the handle bars and goes from side to side?  (Padding has been removed from it).

Is this cross brace a structural part of the handle bars?  Does it need to be there for strength?

Thanks

DRZ handle bars.JPG

It does offer extra support, but I'm not 100% sure it's needed. Looks like you have an S model bike, which means you ride on the street and CAN ride on the dirt. I would take it off and mount my GPS and if you take a digger and bend the bar, next time get a 1 1/8 for that "Extra" strength. Riding on the street shouldn't be an issue.  I bent my OEM bar even with that weird welded cross piece, so I got a ProTaper Contour and have never looked back.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, farnorthdriver said:

Thanks

DRZ handle bars.JPG

If you miss the stadium 'double' and do a Flying W on your landing, you'll be glad that bar is there!

.................otherwise, you can lose it.

(I ran a 7/8th Renthal without a cross brace on my CR, and never managed to bend them.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bermudacat said:

If you miss the stadium 'double' and do a Flying W on your landing, you'll be glad that bar is there!

.................otherwise, you can lose it.

(I ran a 7/8th Renthal without a cross brace on my CR, and never managed to bend them.)

Love the Flying W analogy bud..............lmao :lol:

• Like 1

I would get 11/8" bars to solve this problem. The crossbar is structural and part of the strength. A small get off or falling over while parked could cause them to fold. Yet they could take a serious hit and be fine. I just wouldn't risk trying to ride with folded up bars. My luck would have it happen after a wind gust blows my bike over 150 miles from home. 

• Like 1