NEW 500 RR - Bought for DS Riding. Need many suggestions.

Greetings all.

So bought a new 500 RR yesterday. I have and will be selling my 690R as Its just too heavy and so - on.

Any thoughts on the following:

1. I have a Giant Loop Coyote. With the plastic sub frame, can I just strap it on or should I invest in a Rack? I'm a Joe comfort camper and tend to haul a lot. I really would like to not have a back pack on.

2. Fuel Mileage. What are you guys seeing? It will improve I'm sure but please advise.

3. Over sized fuel tank suggestions?

4. Stator output. I cannot seem to find this. Can I run my heated vest and grips at the same time ... or at all ? If not, I will send out for rewind.

5. Seats or should I say park bench. What have you all seen done... recommend ?

6. Does it need a Cush hub ? Thoughts ?

Any other suggestions or hard earned advise and observations would be very much appreciated.

Edited by StevePierson
  • Like 1

I have read that the stator output is 200W.  

Get thee a MotoMinded Squadron Pro to replace the weak stock headlamp, if you do any night-riding.  

My next $275 purchase for the 500 RR-S is going to be the cush drive rear sprocket.  

You made an awesome choice in a Dual Sport.  I've had mine since 02/22/2017 with 325 miles and 18 hours and so far it has been tremendous.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevePierson said:

Greetings all.

So bought a new 500 RR yesterday. I have and will be selling my 690R as Its just too heavy and so - on.

Any thoughts on the following:

1. I have a Giant Loop Coyote. With the plastic sub frame, can I just strap it on or should I invest in a Rack? I'm a Joe comfort camper and tend to haul a lot. I really would like to not have a back pack on.

2. Fuel Mileage. What are you guys seeing? It will improve I'm sure but please advise.

3. Over sized fuel tank suggestions?

4. Stator output. I cannot seem to find this. Can I run my heated vest and grips at the same time ... or at all ? If not, I will send out for rewind.

5. Seats or should I say park bench. What have you all seen done... recommend ?

6. Does it need a Cush hub ? Thoughts ?

Any other suggestions or hard earned advise and observations would be very much appreciated.

Check out my thread as well Ben and add to it if you like. The more pics the better. The biggest challenge is suspension. I have started a few threads and have been blasted by guys who have no concept for setting up suspension for a bike that's being used as a dual sport/adventure ride. 

I found that by adding luggage weight to your body weight is the best way to choose the correct spring. If you ride the bike stripped as well then just go down a rate for the happy medium. 

I'm 200lbs in street clothes. My bike weighs in at close to 250lbs loaded with gear. 6.0 rear and .52 front is pretty damn good. Crank in some preload (17mm for me) and I get 105mm standing rider sag and 30-35mm static which is spot on. Strip off the bags and lighten the preload and it's a little stiff but still handles everything you can throw at it.

• Like 1

Check every single bolt. My right side crankcase was unsafely loose! Leaked oil all around the case. Check your thermostat housing. Mine leaked with 1.5 hours on it. Replace the hoses or all the clamps. Both the hoses and the thermostat leaked. Flush the Motul and replace with engine Ice or whichever coolant you like. Make sure your wheel is aligned and the chain proper tension. The chain slaps. The DID chain stretches pretty easy so keep an eye on the tension. Remove both wheels and clean off the grease. Both of my wheels had gobs and gobs of grease. Remove the charcoal canister and plug the vacuum line on the intake. Replace the fitting with an engine bolt and add some RTV to seal it off. Get a better skid plate. The vented aluminum provides better air flow and seems to keep mine cooler. It also helps keep the cases protected.  buy a 3 gallon IMS tank. Make sure you tighten all bolts under the tank Because they will leak fuel. I replaced the battery with a lighter Shorai. I'm forgetting stuff.

• Like 1

The wide Seat Concepts, tall for me.

3.1 gal IMS through American Beta for technical single track assuming that is enough.

or

4 gal IMS through American Beta for DS and open terrain assuming you need that much.

The 4 T Betas do not get great or even good milage IMO as they are mapped for performance while others are mapped for emissions.

Bruce

• Like 1