Frame Question

Hey guys. Have a chance to pick up a 2003 YZ250F for chump change. The engine is in pieces and will need at least a crank rebuild.

Anyway, this bike was ridden at the beach here on the Pacific Ocean and is very rusty, especially on the front and underneath. The whole bike has a sheen of salt air patina, really. My question is are these frame tubes very thick? The rust is pretty bad and if I were to get this thing, I would have the frame sand blasted and powder coated but if there's not much material to deal with and a different frame would be called for, then I think I'll pass.

Should have got some pics but forgot my camera when I went and looked at it.

Thanks.

Funny, I was just there checking them out--you're right, they are cheap. Maybe I'll pursue this bike.

Frame is probably the least of your trouble. Bike in perfect shape is worth 1500 maybe. Seems like you could find a more worthwhile project.

I seem to like unworthwhile projects. :lol:  I have several of them. :banghead:

I bought it. The plan is to build this thing into my ultimate woods bike. Want a bike that can do tight, slow single track as well as fast logging roads. Will be installing a WR transmission and looking into more CCs in the form of big bore or possibly stroker crank. Since it needs a crank rebuild, this would be a good opportunity to go stroker, as long as it's reliable.

Will probably start a build thread when I get going on it.