Top End rebuild questions

The cam chain guard popped off on the long arm. Now I am trying to figure out how it goes back in?

Edited by KTMBoogie

It sits in a pocket at the bottom of the chain run.  It can be a little difficult to get it in correctly.  Try pulling the chain up with one hand and let the guide follow the chain down to the pocket. It you can't get it, taking the clutch cover off is always an option.  I have had to do that.  The cylinder needs to be in place first.

• Like 2

It sits in a pocket at the bottom of the chain run.  It can be a little difficult to get it in correctly.  Try pulling the chain up with one hand and let the guide follow the chain down to the pocket. It you can't get it, taking the clutch cover off is always an option.  I have had to do that.  The cylinder needs to be in place first.

Thanks. I got the guide in between the pin and I think it's in there correctly. Taking the clutch cover off helped a lot thanks for the input.

Man this job has taken me twice as long as my ktm. The only thing that really bothered me is I never found a lock for the crankshaft. I never saw a reference in the manual either. On my ktm rfs there is a lock pin on the bottom side of the Crank case that is real helpful. My bike kept on coming out of top dead center while I was trying to set the rings in the cylinder. Man it was a pain in the butt.

Also my big Allen plug has been stripped since I bought the Z. So that made things a little more difficult I had to put the bike in fifth gear and rotate the rear wheel to get the bike and top dead center each time. So now I've tried cutting a notch in the plug hole and hitting it with a chisel but that didn't work I guess I will have to Drill the Center Allen hole and tap it with a left-hand thread tap and bolt.

The KTM Lock pin for TDC is kind of unusual, a nice feature when it is needed.  Some old Brit bikes also had a lock pin but if I recall right it was for ignition timing not TDC.

The alternator cover plug.  Drill a small shallow hole near the OD. Use a round point punch in the hole tangent to the OD.  Moderate hammer and punch usually will loosen the plug.

• Like 1