Sign in to follow this  

2011 crf450 glowing header pipe

Hi guys. I just bought a 2011 crf450r and the header pipe glowing red soon after start up. I had the same issue with my old 03 wr450. I changed the jetting and it solved the problem. I am unsure of how to tackle this issue with a fuel injected bike. I have read plenty of reviews on this. Some people say its normal and others say it's not.

You're going to have to send the ECU off to somebody for a re map to richen the mixture. Do you have an aftermarket exhaust system? Also how long are you letting it idle on the stand? These bikes don't like to be idling without airflow. 

Edited by Jdunn217

I don't think 30 seconds should be causing a glowing header.  That's about normal for idling time while you get your helmet,  goggles and gloves on. I would think the exhaust system is causing a lean condition due to the increased air flow. 

As far as sending it off to get re mapped, there might be a few companies that offer this service. Although I sent mine to Tokyo Mods. It's about $100 plus shipping both ways.  They offer a one day turn around. It will ship back out the same day it gets delivered to them.  There will be a form you fill out to send in with your ecu in the link below.  It'll ask questions like what type of riding you do,  what type of gas you run and any engine mods like your exhaust system, all of this effects what they do to tweak the mapping.  

http://www.tokyomods.com/honda/99-06 CRF450 RX.html#pgmfi

There is also another option to remap your bike. You can buy a fuel management system like a power commander or pim2. These allow you to make changes and install new maps by hooking up to your laptop using software. The downsides of these devices are the price. They usually run $200 - $400. Also they usually require hooking up more wires to your bike and finding a spot to mount it. 

I would only recommend that option if you're serious about racing and travel and ride in a bunch of different conditions/elevations.

I have a full yosh system on my 11 CRF450. After years of running a pim2, which was one I had to plug in a separate wiring harness into the bikes harness and mount it in my airbox,  I finally got my stock ecu re mapped by tokyomods and couldn't happier.  Way less wires on my bike now!