Does racetech keep track of service records? Or any other way to figure out what's been done?

So I have a used bike and it had racetech stickers on the forks but I'm just now changing the fork seals and was thinking of tinkering with the valving but on the BV I noticed it does have gold valves so now I'm wondering what the forks are setup for. Does racetech keep track of service records, could I call and give them the old owners name since there was only one before me and could they tell me what it's setup for? Or would they at least provide an access code to their digital stack system so I can figure it out? Gonna call 2moro but if there's no chance I'm just gonna change the seals and put it back together. Thanks

What suspension shop is called '2moro', never heard of them.

Each RaceTech shop is an independent facility (there are 100's of them). I doubt they are certified in any way, just a place that retails an services suspension. No more than the tire guy down the street is connected to Goodyear.

You would need to know what place did the work (assuming the owner at some point did not just get a set of stickers and put them on), who the owner was at the time and hope the shop has its' act together and keeps good records.

32 minutes ago, J-Biv said:

So I have a used bike and it had racetech stickers on the forks but I'm just now changing the fork seals and was thinking of tinkering with the valving but on the BV I noticed it does have gold valves so now I'm wondering what the forks are setup for. Does racetech keep track of service records, could I call and give them the old owners name since there was only one before me and could they tell me what it's setup for? Or would they at least provide an access code to their digital stack system so I can figure it out? Gonna call 2moro but if there's no chance I'm just gonna change the seals and put it back together. Thanks

I've dealt with RaceTech directly and it appeared they kept good records. Worth a call.

With the gold valves you get different colored springs to tighten different amounts for your setup. For example, yellow springs 3 turns in. they might be able to help you with this also.

My experience was 5 years ago so memory is a bit fuzzy.

1 hour ago, William1 said:

What suspension shop is called '2moro', never heard of them.

Each RaceTech shop is an independent facility (there are 100's of them). I doubt they are certified in any way, just a place that retails an services suspension. No more than the tire guy down the street is connected to Goodyear.

You would need to know what place did the work (assuming the owner at some point did not just get a set of stickers and put them on), who the owner was at the time and hope the shop has its' act together and keeps good records.

Thanks william1. On Monday I'm going to call the independent racetech shop that's nearest to the last owner and also the main shop in CA just to give it a shot. I doubt the guy ordered the gold valve kit and did them himself , not sure if the kit comes with stickers or not but I doubt he did them because he only kept the bike for a couple months before he sold it and he seemed like he wasn't an enthusiast from the info I gathered. He had the dealer do all the maintenence and sold it back to them when realized riding wasn't for him. I think my best shot is just getting an access code and just start over by entering my info and seeing what stack they recommend. Not sure if they'll give one out or if I can purchase it, any one wanna share they're code? PM me if so!

1 hour ago, Flagstaff said:

I've dealt with RaceTech directly and it appeared they kept good records. Worth a call.

With the gold valves you get different colored springs to tighten different amounts for your setup. For example, yellow springs 3 turns in. they might be able to help you with this also.

My experience was 5 years ago so memory is a bit fuzzy.

Good to know about the springs. I'm a pretty decent engine mechanic but suspension work is new to me so thanks for all the info!

40 minutes ago, J-Biv said:

Thanks william1. On Monday I'm going to call the independent racetech shop that's nearest to the last owner and also the main shop in CA just to give it a shot. I doubt the guy ordered the gold valve kit and did them himself , not sure if the kit comes with stickers or not but I doubt he did them because he only kept the bike for a couple months before he sold it and he seemed like he wasn't an enthusiast from the info I gathered. He had the dealer do all the maintenence and sold it back to them when realized riding wasn't for him. I think my best shot is just getting an access code and just start over by entering my info and seeing what stack they recommend. Not sure if they'll give one out or if I can purchase it, any one wanna share they're code? PM me if so!

That is a good plan. Keep on it and let us know how you make out,. it will be a big help to other TT members. Also, many very active TT members are also RaceTech shop owners and may extend what help they have/can offer.

Suspension is a black art to me as well.

I just emailed them but also found on their website that the codes given out with the gold valve instructions "allow 5 minute viewing of the output for one model vehicle, one time." , so looks like I can't "borrow" anyone's code. I'll update if they'll provide a new one as a courtesy once I hear back.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 6:06 PM, J-Biv said:

Why not just ride it and see how the forks work?  They may be dreamy perfect as is.  If not, you'll know what you don't like and need to change.

7 hours ago, MetricMuscle said:

Why not just ride it and see how the forks work?  They may be dreamy perfect as is.  If not, you'll know what you don't like and need to change.

Metric muscle: That's basically where I'm at, I've ridden it and want to make some slight changes. I'm doing a fork seal replacement now so figured while I'm in there let me take try some new things out. I'm pretty sure it's setup for woods as it's pretty soft but I'm starting to ride MX at least twice a month now which is more than before so I may want to make the stack as a compromise between woods and MX.  Paul Thede's Racetech slogan is: "The best you've ridden is the best you know!", which I believe is true. I might think my suspension is good now but once I set it up for me specifically it might be substantially better (or at least I hope).

---------------------------------------------------------

So here's where I'm at for all future readers who may want to make changes to their old or secondhand Racetech suspension; I emailed the service dept which the email address is on their website. Sandy from service looked up and didn't find any service records for the previous owner which isn't a surprise since like William1 pointed out there are several authorized independent Racetech service centers in almost every state now. So I asked for new codes to the Digital Valving System and received an email today with one for the forks and one for the rear (which I requested). So that's pretty cool of them to do and I'm excited to check it out when I get a free chance. I'll try to post one last follow up after I make their recommended stack and tell whether it helped or not.

• Like 1

when you input your code, and get your valving info there is usually 10 or more different setups to use, they usually start you off in the middle. Then if you decide it's to soft, you can go stiffer in the series, or the opposite if its to stiff. Only downside is having to take the forks back apart each time, but it usually gets you a really good setup. So make sure you print the setup sheets when you put the code in so you can use them later on if you need to change something. Also be honest with your ability/weight at the time you put in the code, not what you expect to be in 3 months down the road. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2017 at 7:30 PM, tmauto69 said:

when you input your code, and get your valving info there is usually 10 or more different setups to use, they usually start you off in the middle. Then if you decide it's to soft, you can go stiffer in the series, or the opposite if its to stiff. Only downside is having to take the forks back apart each time, but it usually gets you a really good setup. So make sure you print the setup sheets when you put the code in so you can use them later on if you need to change something. Also be honest with your ability/weight at the time you put in the code, not what you expect to be in 3 months down the road. 

:thumbsup:

• Like 1