FMF Pipe doesnt sit flush

Ok part of my rebuilding the bike I purchased and noticing more and more things that are wrong with it.  I noticed the the FMF pipe does not sit flush against the exhaust port.  I havent noticed anything oil leaking out of it but how can I fix this.  Could it cause any damage not sitting flush?

It is common to have to tweak pipes from time to time.

Find something with a slightly smaller OD than the pipes ID. Something 3.5 - 4 feet long. (Think wooden implement handle)

Place the pipe on the ground and secure it.

Tweak the pipe gently in the direction it needs to go in order to fit flush.

Take your time, small tweaks at a time until you get it right. Check for proper fit often. 

• Like 1

Many times, the loop of the exhaust that sticks out on the shifter side of the bike gets hit and bends rearward, which slightly mis-aligns the pipe and port. People usually notice the loop contacting the frame before they notice the flange not fitting flat against the port. If it doesn't leak, just throw in a new gasket/o-ring thingy and call it good. ?

• Like 1

Did the bike have a CF pipe guard by any chance?  I have found that a crash can bend the pipe enough to cause misalignment without leaving any dents or obvious damage.  

If it is not leaking, I would not worry to much, but maybe you can tweak the mounting tabs on the pipe to get a better fit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rpt50 said:

Did the bike have a CF pipe guard by any chance?  I have found that a crash can bend the pipe enough to cause misalignment without leaving any dents or obvious damage.  

If it is not leaking, I would not worry to much, but maybe you can tweak the mounting tabs on the pipe to get a better fit.

It didnt have it when i bought it.  I havent noticed any oil leaking out of it for a while.  I did put new springs and o-rings on the pipe.

• Like 1