Hi iv been looking at the forums for a few years and finally decided to make an account.

I just took apart my 91 xr200r for the first time because of low compression (60-70psi) and i was scraping off the head gasket and some of it went into the stud/bolt holes. Im worried it will block the oil passage ways. Can anyone tell me how i should go about cleaning these out or can i just leave it as is (does not seem like a good idea).

IMG_3103.JPG.eeb54dc504d871e49eb331ccd59fa34c.JPG

I also have some marks on the cam journals if that's the correct term and should i be worried about this. The surface is still smooth and i cant see it causing any friction. IMG_3105.JPG.ff219a6a4bb0beb39dc8d6f3c617e696.JPGIMG_3104.JPG.9ab8e5397ca4834a012e438259623345.JPG

Any help or tips on reassembly or just any tips in general are greatly appreciated,thanks.

59192eb74211c_xr200oilpassagway.jpg.ff0c3ea99ac86d0f91a05e778c32db1f.jpg

Here is a  diagram of the oil passageways i thought others might find help full .

Edited by Nic_W

Youll get better response in the XR 80-200 forum. Looks like you were already suffering from oil starvation or dirty oil. Make sure to clean the centrifugal oil spinner/filter, its amazing how much gunk you can find there.

I don't like the rocker arm wear and suspect the cam lobes don't look great either. The cam bearings can be cleaned up I think. No way to clean around the studs other than to lift off the cylinder. Good time for a hone and new rings if needed. These motors really wake up with a better cam and more compression.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I reposted this on the xr forum because i dont know how to move posts. The cam had no visible marks on them so i think its fine but this was a used top end that was put on by a shop last year when the oil pump went.