I thought i would share my adventures with my new IT490. I have been looking for one of these for the last 2 years and yesterday i was able to finally bring one home. In my search for the 490 i acquired 2 other IT's, a 82 IT250 and a 84 IT200 . I really like the IT200, it is one of my favorite bikes. I liked it enough i all but gave up on the 490. A couple weeks ago one came up for sale close by. You my have seen my other post about IT490 value.  While the bike looked ok i felt it was overpriced so i didnt go after the bike. Then Tuesday I was looking at the bike section on cl in the Portland Oregon area to see if anything caught my eye. What did i see, an IT490.

I gave the guy a call and we talked for almost an hour. The bike was what i was looking for , still a little more than i wanted to spend but it was clean and ready to go. Brand new top end on a fresh bore, new chain and sprockets,  newer tires, new brakes, clutch cables , new DG pipe, new tank with decals and some other miscellaneous parts. All original plastic , seat, tool bag and fork boots. Odometer works and so do the lights. Rims, hubs and spokes are in excellent shape. Paint is still good and no frame damage.  This bike was a true low hour machine, you can tell it wasn't used a lot or thrashed on. I do need to fix the kickstand. 

Today was the shake down and test out. Drained the tank and filled it back up with 92 ethanol free at 32:1. Bike fired off with the 3rd kick. Now before i bought the bike i did all the reading on the jetting issue. This bike ran ok but i could tell the jetting was off. I rode it around the property for a couple mile and felt it out. Clutch felt good and shifted smooth.  Brakes work good for drums and overall handling was fine. With the jetting off it was a little blubbering off the bottom. After a few jetting tweaks and a mod to the slide i got her running pretty darn good. 

You hear stories about how wild and vicious the 490 is . Not this bike. Good strong smooth power with a moderate hit. Best way to describe the bike is ktm300. This is a very pleasant motor, more usable than i thought it would be.

I big issue with the bike and i knew it would be is the suspension, its too soft. Tomorrow im ordering up some new springs that should fix her up. I did change the handle bars out today with a bend i like along with some hand guards. Besides the suspension i don't think i need to buy anything else for the bike

All in all I'm  pleased with the bike. I think its going to work out well.  I will keep posting my progress with setting up the bike . I will also put some go pro vids up on my future rides. Stay tuned.

I should ad this is not going to be a garage queen but will be ridden. 

20170514_182319.jpg

20170514_182424.jpg

Edited by GreenMT_Rider
  • Like 14

There is something about old Yamaha IT's. They were claw hammer simple, durable and definitely the IT blue was unique. I'm contemplating getting an '82 or 83 IT 250. I had an 82 years ago. My only concern is getting parts like pistons and cranks.

I had a 83 it250k.suspension was way soft too.engine was ok.bike vibrated a lot though even after full rebuild. It was beautiful but wasn't all that impressive to ride so I sold it and moved on.spent a lot of time and money on it and never really got that wow factor.great mancave art but not really a great machine in my opinion my 82 rm250z is 10x better machine in my opinion 

20151204_161543.jpg

20151113_120917.jpg

Edited by speedyreedy
Pic

On 5/20/2017 at 7:24 PM, speedyreedy said:

I had a 83 it250k.suspension was way soft too.engine was ok.bike vibrated a lot though even after full rebuild. It was beautiful but wasn't all that impressive to ride so I sold it and moved on.spent a lot of time and money on it and never really got that wow factor.great mancave art but not really a great machine in my opinion my 82 rm250z is 10x better machine in my opinion 

20151204_161543.jpg

20151113_120917.jpg

The 83 it250 was a step back motor wise. The motor on the 82 was much stronger. 

The suspension on the IT's are all to soft. I have new springs ordered for the 490, suspension won't be an issue. Motor wise the 490 is a tractor with some top end. With the little time i have on it im fairly impressed.  

• Like 1

On 5/19/2017 at 8:42 PM, bullmastiff said:

There is something about old Yamaha IT's. They were claw hammer simple, durable and definitely the IT blue was unique. I'm contemplating getting an '82 or 83 IT 250. I had an 82 years ago. My only concern is getting parts like pistons and cranks.

Parts are not a problem. Anything you need is either readily available or close to it. I have an 82 IT250 also that im going through.  Another bike to look for is the IT200. Very light, nimble and decent power. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2017 at 9:33 PM, GreenMT_Rider said:

Parts are not a problem. Anything you need is either readily available or close to it. I have an 82 IT250 also that im going through.  Another bike to look for is the IT200. Very light, nimble and decent power. 

I.t 200's :thumbsup:

I have a 17" rear wheel off a it 465. It has a huge,gnarly tire on it that's about %70. The brakes and bearings are good. If your interested I'll post a pic. If you want it, pay the shipping and it's yours.

On 5/26/2017 at 1:53 PM, GreenMT_Rider said:

Here is the bikes first singletrack ride

Cool vid. Love the sound of those drum brakes squeaking. ;)

3 hours ago, Doc_speeder said:

Is the IT motor identical to the YZ?  If not, do you know what the differences are?  Does is suffer from the same pinging/jetting issues etc?

The cylinder, piston  and head are different along with the crank.  All the parts are interchangeable with the yz so you could turn a yz into an IT or vise versa.

The IT's run better than the YZ and are easier to jet but still aren't perfect.  I haven't heard any pinging yet . The IT can still benefit from a head mod. I'm looking at buying an extra head and trying the mod.

Owning 3 different IT'S  I'm learning a lot about air cooled motors. 

Edited by GreenMT_Rider
  • Like 3

Here is the bikes first singletrack ride

Very cool bike. Power delivery seems nice and mild for easy cruising. Seems easy to start. How does it idle? Can you take your hand off the throttle for a minute or two or do you have to blip it every few seconds like an old 2-stroke MX bike? I second the motion...fix the squeaks!!!...just ribbing you...nice job.

10 hours ago, Sofiedog said:

Very cool bike. Power delivery seems nice and mild for easy cruising. Seems easy to start. How does it idle? Can you take your hand off the throttle for a minute or two or do you have to blip it every few seconds like an old 2-stroke MX bike? I second the motion...fix the squeaks!!!...just ribbing you...nice job.

The bike will idle as long as you want, no throttle needed. It doesn't seem to load up much either. Bike will start on the 2nd or 3rd kick cold and almost always 1 kick hot. Power is very broad and linear and there's lots of it.  And yes the squeaks drive me nuts. 

10 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Sounds like a major torque machine. Ridden like that the motor should last an eternity. :thumbsup:

I hope it last a while. The bike has a fresh top end. The bottom end has never been touched. I do honestly believe it was a low hour bike. There really isn't much wear.

Beautiful bike! I absolutely love the color scheme of the blue ITs. :cool:

That bike is awesome! I bet that thing will pull stumps out of the ground in first gear! ;) If it's anything like my old 400, that top end should last you years with no problem. I think Yamaha's old big bore two strokes have a reputation for not breaking down that easy from what I've heard/read/seen.

Took big blue out for another short ride today . I hooked up with a couple of friends so i had some company today. Rode just shy of 20 miles. Rode some very tight singletrack and was pleased on well it worked.  I put some progressive suspension fork springs in for the last ride and felt they were to soft still. After this ride i think there going to be ok. The only problem I had today was i left my jersey at home.

18953419_1365612136855401_2491959500637929789_o.jpg

• Like 5