adventure helmets

in a month or two I'll be in a market for a new helmet. coming from purely street riding and a lots of long distance riding, I always had some good Shoe or Arai helmets. now using the bike to commute and off road I am looking at those "new", "adventure" helmets. i want it to be dot and snell certified.

so, what do you have, what do you like/dont like etc. oh and riding in Vegas, good ventilation is a must !

I bought an adventure helmet from CycleGear a couple years ago, they're own brand, Bilt or something like that. One good feature it has that I like is the push button, drop down sunglass lens it has in addition to the regular face shield

• Like 1

I have the Bell MX-9 adventure (same as the regular mx helmet, but with a proper face shield. The shield is removable. Paid 110 on clearance so it's a bargain. You could spend literally $500 more on an XD4 or Hornet, but I'm not sure why anyone would. It's built well, ECE and DOT approved, fits my head well, looks pretty good.

Edited by MotardMike1
  • Like 2

hows the noise level with the bell?  my SS2500 speed and strength is loud as hell unless i have a windscreen and ear plugs in

I too am interested in the bell mx9. One of my concerns is noise also. I understand that by the nature of the design these adventure helmets are going to be noisier than sport helmets but would like to know if anyone has found an ADV style one that is not that loud.

I have had the fly Trekker ADV Helmet and another cheap one and both were quite noisy.

I don't think its too noisy at all. Both with the screen up and down.  No ear plugs necessary.  Granted my other bike is a Harley so I can't comment on noise all but so much. 

I don't think its too noisy at all. Both with the screen up and down.  No ear plugs necessary.  Granted my other bike is a Harley so I can't comment on noise all but so much. 

lol, you said it all
  • Like 1

on some reviews (bell) some are saying tbe shield is not that great and its "twisting" quite a bit when pulling it up.
what are you guys comment on this ?
anyone has the Icon adv helmet ? (forgot the name...)

Noise: it's not the quietest helmet, for sure. But with my Yoshi RS2, I never feel that it's too loud inside the helmet. 

Shield: zero complaints and no issues or twisting noticed. 

i think you're referring to the Icon Variant,which is a very popular SM choice. From reviews, quality is mediocre, visor changes are a pita, and it's relatively expensive.  It is so wildly popular that it's worth a look. I couldn't justify the price difference when comparing the Icon down to the Bell ($100 on clearance for some color schemes) or up to the Shoei or Arai ($550)

Edited by MotardMike1

Went from the older Fly trekker to the Bell Mx-9 adv. - Major upgrade!

It is built much better, more comfortable, etc....

Love the helmet, hate the peak at speeds above 50 as it does grab the air a bit. I am now running a street helmet in sumo mode, way better at speed.

No issued with noise or the shield, however I do wear earplugs anyway as I have the RS2 open.

this is the helmet i wear now, it is an excellent helmet and have held up well in Vegas sun
i probably rode a little over 40k miles with it (had a zzr 1200 for 7 years, lots of long distance ride+ daily ride). but it is getting old. thats why i am now looking at an adv helmet .
(not mine but its the exact same one)
Screenshot_20170517-071641.png

Uvex used to do an enduro helmet (stopped production of all motorcycle gear in 2011). Emailed them yesterday actually. Trying to worm my way into one.

This had to be the best looking lid out there.

CGAE9I-A58623796000_4e7ab08a4f03a.jpg

• Like 1

Well here you go. A company called Nishua uses the same molds from Uvex and make an almost identical helmet.

215086_410_DET04_16.JPG

I wear the AFX FX-41DS. Both sun shade and full visor with special room for wearing goggles instead. Little loud due to goggles feature and the associated gap between the visor and helmet. Other than that, it seems to be a good helmet.

it seems that with the bell you cannot close the vents, that is a deal breaker for me as I ride to work everyday in the winter..

if you don't need the visor/peak and will be doing a good amount of 50+ speeds skip the adventure series and pick up a good street helmet.

I have this for both the Sumo and my Superduke, love it and the shield does not cause any issues when up. It was designed specifically for upright naked bikes.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/arai-defiant-pro-cruise-helmet?gclid=CP3s4fyq-dMCFU1YDQodv1AH2A