2017 500 RR-S remove shock tips

Hi guys, have had my new 500 for a few weeks now. Really fun. Am getting ready to install the xtrig preload adjuster on the rear shock. Any tips/suggestions regarding removal of the shock to perform this install before I give it a go? Looks like it may be a pretty tight path to remove it without taking off any other parts.

Of course will put it up on a lift and completely unload the shock prior to removing the attach bolts.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I've not worked on the 500, but my 2014 450 required removal of; muffler/rear bodywork/intake airbox clamp/removal of bolts that hold the subframe on/loosen wiring attached to the subframe. Gently move subframe out of the way, remove shock. With the bikes suspension unloaded of course. kinda self explanatory once you got the plastics off from gas tank rearward.

FYI, make sure you got the correct rear spring to start with....

• Like 1

Many thanks guys. The linked post was really helpful. All I am really trying to do is put the preload adjuster on. So I think I can do it from the bottom without taking the shock out......per the post from vwprostock. Great tip. Should be obvious I know, but you guys experience really helps.

vwprostock post:.......If its just the spring you are changing, loosen the preload spanner all the way up, remove lower bolt and linkage, push up on retaining collar and remove it, spring falls out the bottom. Install new spring, slide collar back into place,  reinstall linkage and lower bolt, set sag , ride. Hardest part is not dropping the linkage too hard and knocking the needle bearings all over the floor....so I have heard, I was told. :-)

Don't need to remove too much

muffler and frame guard are the only things you need to remove. Then take out back linkage bolt, the one that goes to the dog bone. This is so you have room to twist the shock out. 

Next remove the upper and lower shock bolts and raise the rear wheel. You can then twist and work it out the side. 

I found out today just how easy it is to remove the rear shock on the 500.

Remove the seat & fuel tank, remove 4 bolts (2 muffler, 2 lower subframe), loosen the 2 top subframe bolts, loosen the airboot clamp and lift the subframe up. As you lift it up a bit pull the crankcase vent hose off the airbox. You don't need to remove the muffler. Then pull the 2 shock bolts and it pops right out.

I installed the Xtrig quick set preload dampener I've had sitting in a box far too long.

20170519_100230-1.jpg

20170519_102819-1.jpg

20170519_103032-1.jpg

20170519_103042-1.jpg

20170519_165151-1.jpg

• Like 2

Yep, my dealer provided the same procedure.....after I was done of course! I will know to call him first in the future. Nice to have a dealer where the salesman is actually the primary mechanic for all the Betas, so he is really knowledgeable!

Love that xtrig. Worth every penny to no longer have to use the hammer and screwdriver method! Dealer said to always make sure you have the shock unloaded when adjusting. He has had experience with damage to the unit if adjusted while weight is being applied to the shock.

• Like 1

Thanks dirtbird. Very helpful to have all these potential options on the table for us. Appreciate you providing it.

Mark

My friend removed his rear shock today.

Discovered the bell crank was rubbing on the inside of the swing arm on the right side.

He always felt that the rebound had a dead feel to it. Has anybody else had this problem????

Eddy

My friend removed his rear shock today.
Discovered the bell crank was rubbing on the inside of the swing arm on the right side.
He always felt that the rebound had a dead feel to it. Has anybody else had this problem????
Eddy

I don't recall seeing that when I did mine but don't look for it specifically. I need to check it.

I will be checking mine also, when I get some time.

My bike has that dead feel on the rebound also.

My friend said his bike got better as he got more time on it. But the groove on swing arm wore in removing some of the rebound resistance. Taking away so of the dead feel.

Eddy

12 minutes ago, Tunaman1 said:

I will be checking mine also, when I get some time.

My bike has that dead feel on the rebound also.

My friend said his bike got better as he got more time on it. But the groove on swing arm wore in removing some of the rebound resistance. Taking away so of the dead feel.

Eddy

Wearing a groove-hole in the swingarm doesn't sound like an appropriate "fix" to me.

I have removed my rear shock twice now. Did not observe any wear on the swingarm in my case.

Not sure. I got mine after I purchased. This was the first reason to remove my shock. Second time I got it revalved. Well worth it.

Hi Guys.

I'm very sorry for the info about the swing arm rub with the shock.

Here is a picture of the rub on my buddies 500 RR-S. Also everything wasn't lubed and way over torqued. Bone dry.

Now he doesn't have to run his rebound all the way out.

Sorry again for the bad info.

Eddy

The Rub <a href='https://thumpertalk.com/link/click/4443/' rel='nofollow' data-ipsHover-target='https://thumpertalk.com/index.php?app=autolink&module=links&controller=content&id=4443' data-ipsHover target='_blank' rel='noopener' data-autoLink>Beta.</a>jpg