93 octane with ethanol vs 91 without for 250 YZ-X?

Where I live (Toronto) you can get up to  93 or 94 octane at local gas stations. Pretty sure the only one without ethanol is 91 Octane Shell. Which would be preferable on a stock YZX? Is the YZX acceptably happy with run of the mill "High " octane fuel?

I haven't heard or seen any complaints of detonation from X owners. With the milder cdi timing and lowered compression 91 should be fine. My yz250 with X PV spring and cdi runs a cut yz head fin with 91. Personally I have stopped running ethos all in anything with a carburetor, the stuff should be banned.

• Like 1

Mine has run fine with any 91 including ethanol blends.  I have no choice but to run that crap most the time, actually I don't even know what it is most  the time.  (NV has no law making stations tell you if it's ethanol mix (how stupid is That?) I will drain and replace the gas if it's more than two weeks old though no matter what...    Surprisingly there is always somebody willing to dump my old premix in their car if it's free..lol

Edited by Nevada Al
  • Like 1

i would never run ethanol in anything but a lawnmower. I run 88 but I'm at 5000 feet.if you're worried about octane, just get a jug of race fuel and put a splash in every mix.

I use 91 NON in my YZ and never heard any rattles from that rating.

I know a friend runs avgas in his KTM 300. Says it runs great.

Good to know the X will be ok with 91

I usually run 93 octane with 10% ethanol because is the highest octane I can get. When I ran the 91 octane non-ethanol I had problems because it was stale. I've never had a problem running ethanol in anything even after sitting five months but I also believe it should be ban. I finally had possible evidence of ethanol related issue in my boat so now I run a splash of Star Tron in everything. When I get a new quart of my favorite two-stroke oil, I open it and splash a little less than an ounce of Star Tron in it. Seal it up and shake it up. Start Tron is a great stabilizer, preservative, anti-ethanol, etc. my .02

• Like 1

Maybe it's just where I live, but I definitely had a problem with the 91. Never had a problem with the 93 but I hear so much talk about ethanol I started throwing a splash of star Tron and stuff for good measure.

pretty sure Canadian 93 is a lot closer to us 91. seems nobody here, everyone in the us, is aware that Canada uses a different rating system for the octane of their gas than we do.

5 hours ago, 91kdx25088 said:

pretty sure Canadian 93 is a lot closer to us 91. seems nobody here, everyone in the us, is aware that Canada uses a different rating system for the octane of their gas than we do.

You are correct. Not many people will realize this in a casual reading, including me. Main reason is that we can almost all get 91 and 93 all over the place. Can you get the equivalent in Canada?

Petro Canada has the Ultra 94 which is what I use in my yz250x. And all other bikes. I am pretty sure it is supposed to have little to no ethanol. It works well. 

We'll look into the Petro Canada 94 further. That is my corner station, do that would be good.

30 minutes ago, nicad said:

We'll look into the Petro Canada 94 further. That is my corner station, do that would be good.

Not all Petro's have the Ultra 94....but hopefully one of the ones on the way to your riding spot do. 

Can't give any input on the 250's but I pretty much have to run 10 percent ethanol in my yz125 (trail riding). I use yamalube 2r at 32:1 and 93 octane with 10 percent ethanol. I haven't had any trouble at all but what I do is as someone stated already, once it gets to two weeks I dump it and use it in my lawn equipment or dispose of it. I can't tell even the slightest difference until around 2 weeks then I notice a little more smoke and I just wouldn't rev it out so I have no idea what else suffers. I'd say there's more smoke due to the evaporation of fuel properties making the oil take over more and more space in the fuel. I tip my bike after every ride to let a little gas out of the carb so I've had no issues with any gunk in the carb. Even with ethanol a good metal fuel can will make its life quite a bit longer than a plastic can will due to evaporation. Just throwing my two cents in.

Shell 91 without ethanol is good. If you want higher octane and no ethanol, can't you get Chevron 94 with no ethanol?

I always add about an ounce of Startron to my 20 L or 5 gallon mix of gas and oil just to be sure that any water or ethanol is eliminated. Startron is an enzyme, not a fuel stabiliser and it seems to be good stuff. I add it to my lawn mower gas in the spring if the gas is old or the mower won't start.