Sign in to follow this  

New to me 2012

I've had a few years off from MX. About 3. Last bike was a 05 cr250 with FC suspension, set up perfect for me. Before that a crf250, a kx450f and then a bunch of different 2 strokes. I've always avoided 4t because of maintenance. 

My buddy has always pushed me towards Yamaha and I've almost always had Honda's. I found this we'll set up 450f at a price I couldn't pass. PO had an stunning garage and they were switching to the ktm 350s and selling off the 450s.

Long story short the bike has everything you could want. Suspension is set to my weight, sag works out. The bike flat rips. It's so predictable in the turns, like it's on rails!!! Hooks and drives. I over jumped a 75' gap on Saturday and really thought I was going to eat it...no problems at all. 

I've owned and ridden ALOT of bikes over the past 20+ years of riding. Never have I been anything this we'll sorted. Dunno if it's the backwards motor, the suspension... She's fast as $#&@ and turns like a dream. No knifie like a RM but REAL stable. I'm 45 and I feel like a dang kid at Christmas, haven't felt that in years. 

IMG951564.jpg

• Like 2

Immpossible. They are horrible bikes and nearly unridable. Just ask James Stewart or any of the magazines.

1 hour ago, mikedabike said:

Immpossible. They are horrible bikes and nearly unridable. Just ask James Stewart or any of the magazines.

Was that his "excuse" ? 

2 hours ago, Rob Rupprecht said:

Was that his "excuse" ? 

...As differentiated from his actual problem...

5 hours ago, Rob Rupprecht said:

I'm 45 and I feel like a dang kid at Christmas, haven't felt that in years. 

I know the feeling, just had it myself Saturday, but that's an off-topic story 😉

Keep the oil changed, and the filters fresh, make your shifts crisp and positive, the thing will last a long time.  The only other thing would be to look into pre-filtering your fuel (careful with static).  That'll make the fuel filter in the pump last longer. 

I loved the YZ450F because of it's reliability when everything else was lighter, faster, turned better and was cooler.  That hasn't changed, they still set the standard for reliability, but apparently Yamaha is done with playing second fiddle.

1 hour ago, grayracer513 said:

...As differentiated from his actual problem...

I know the feeling, just had it myself Saturday, but that's an off-topic story 😉

Keep the oil changed, and the filters fresh, make your shifts crisp and positive, the thing will last a long time.  The only other thing would be to look into pre-filtering your fuel (careful with static).  That'll make the fuel filter in the pump last longer. 

I loved the YZ450F because of it's reliability when everything else was lighter, faster, turned better and was cooler.  That hasn't changed, but apparently, Yamaha is done with playing second fiddle.

Pre filter? How?

There are some "sock" type filters you can put in your fuel tank neck while pouring gas into it.  Don't have a source or a link for you, sorry. Also doesn't hurt to periodically slosh the last quart or so around in the bottom of your gas can and just dump it into your lawn mower can, or wherever.

• Like 2

So I've got 2 weekends on this bike and a couple week day sessions. I've been tweaking fork heights and sag. It's pretty close right now. I've played around with a few different maps. 

MY GOD this bike rocks. It's predictable and does what I ask. There's a couple turns on my local track that I don't think I even turn the bike, it's like it hits the rut, I flick it over and hit the gas...bang! Out of the corner we shoot. 

I've been a Honda guy for a long time. My buddy has always been a Yamaha guy. I guess all the stuff he's been saying is true. The bike is great. There's a couple of sections where I get a little mid/late corner understeer and ive gotta sort that out. Will try mm or 2 more fork height and I'm at 100mm on the rear and may go to 105mm. Could also be my old slow ass. 

• Like 1

Nice one, great feeling when you have confidence in your bike.

• Like 1