putting an individual fuse on most parts of the system

bike - 03 DRZ400 E, plated and semi-legal currently has ONE fuse

Equipment

- Ascerbis taillight with brakelight, and appropriate switch
- ADVMonster 60 low beam with dimmer
- ADVMonster 60 high beam
- generic motorcycle horn
- stock stator

I'm building it for remote (relatively speaking) jeep roads in the Western U.S., maybe the TAT, etc. Since I'm often riding alone reliability is very important to me

so I think I understand the purpose of fusing - protect the whole wiring system in case of a short somewhere

I'm thinking of individually fusing most parts of the circuit

- high beam
- low
- horn
- taillight

That way if something shorts it doesn't take out the main fuse (do I have that right?) and I know what part of the circuit went bad.

Thoughts?

i see no problem with the idea .. if the execution of it isnt done in a quality way though youre likely to lower the reliability, not increase it .. just do quality connections ect and seal them ..

Agree.  In theory not a bad idea.  But often times home grown electrical "improvements" take away reliability.  If you engineer the improvement and do quality work using the right tools and materials, should be fine.

I also like this idea. After I just completely fried a wiring harness and an ignition on the trail when I repeatedly blew 20A fuses and didn't find the short I ignorantly put a 30A in. Id be real interested what inline fuse holders you order and where you place them. Being stranded on the trail and having to replace the entire wiring harness and purchase a new ignition with key sucked don't want to do it again. Maybe think of adding a fuse to ignition as well.

Edited by HailChaser

A bunch of in-line fuses makes me nervous.  My vision is a nice neat fuse panel in a protected location properly mounted and wired.  Take a look at almost any modern street bike for ideas. I'm sure with some looking you can find some nice pre-wired panels that would work.

I had one of those fuse boxes on my FJR. It was great but there was the perfect spot for it, and lots of room to run wiring.

I think that inline fusing is probably better because you wouldn't have to unweave the wiring. At least that's my thought.

I haven't begun to investigate the particular fuse setup.