Takegawa oil cooler

Anybody ever use the takegawa oil cooler? Thinking of getting one, I'm thinking it will make the bike run cooler, which means more power and reliability. It will work along with my plans of getting more power out of it later on.

There was debate about add on oil coolers before. Seems the consensus is that it is unnecessary and risky on a trail bike, but one a supermoto it may be a worthy add on...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burgan said:

There was debate about add on oil coolers before. Seems the consensus is that it is unnecessary and risky on a trail bike, but one a supermoto it may be a worthy add on...

900x900px-ll-8e2f7cc0_clint-eastwood-nod

• Like 1

that is definitely a lot of extra stuff to grab a stick with...getting your brake pedal wangoed on a stick is bad enough....having all of the oil leave the bike at high speed sounds worse.

also, seems counter productive to have the tubing for a COOLER that close to the header.

• Like 2

Wow.......no way I am looking at getting now. Where I ride, it would ripped off really quickly

• Like 1

In all honesty it was probably never originally developed for our bikes. The exact same kit for the CBR250R tucks nicely right below the factory radiator and doesn't interfere with anything.

I'm betting if anything that the kit was a CBR design and someone in their sales department realized that the CRF250L/M shares the same motor and was like why don't we open this for availability for the CRF250L/Ms. To redesign it to fit on our bikes would've cost R&D funds to they just skipped that all together to double their market...

you trade the slight possibility of longer oil life for the probability of a leak or broken line and very short engine life.  With good coolant and good oil I wouldn't consider it, the engine isn't tuned for high HP/RPM, aircooled, or any of the other conditions where a cooler in some instances might be a worthy trade-off.

23 hours ago, Neilly said:

I did look at them because of the temp I ride in...but came to that same conclusion

07-07-0171_03.jpg

More info here...

https://japan.webike.net/products/21226810.html

And there are cheaper ones out there, alibaba has tons that do exactly the same for $20, and you can mount them anyplace you want, but seriously, where are you riding that stuff rips ur bike that high up?

Edited by hockeyrick

9 hours ago, hockeyrick said:

And there are cheaper ones out there, alibaba has tons that do exactly the same for $20, and you can mount them anyplace you want, but seriously, where are you riding that stuff rips ur bike that high up?

Hey Rick, wasn't on about the cost...but we ride up in the hills and there are deep ruts cut by the rains so is too easy to go over on your side...not high speed stuff, but would still make a mess of that cooler and poss take out one of those oil lines

No worries, I know ther is always going to be something that tears up a bike but what are the odds? You can't protect against everything. My other concern would be, just how much oil-by being tapped into the filter cover would actually be routed thru the cooler and cooled. Seems like a hot or miss system, but thats just me. So If it is, buy the cheapest! If effective, I can see a reason as I ride a lot of hi speed hiway here.

2 hours ago, hockeyrick said:

My other concern would be, just how much oil-by being tapped into the filter cover would actually be routed thru the cooler and cooled.

Looks like the new cover has a bypass valve in it so I would guess all the lube oil flows thru it...

07-07-0171_plug.jpg

I wonder if one can just buy the cover separately, then buy a cheapo Chinese cooler? TaaaDaaa! Save a ton of money!

33 minutes ago, hockeyrick said:

I wonder if one can just buy the cover separately, then buy a cheapo Chinese cooler? TaaaDaaa! Save a ton of money!

Drop them a line mate:-

Address:3-5-16 Nishikiorihigashi Tondabayashi Osaka JAPAN
TEL: +81-721-25-1357  FAX:+81-721-24-5059
e-mail : english@takegawa.co.jp
URL http:// www.takegawa.co.jp
Please contact with your name and country name provided.(Only English please)

11 hours ago, hockeyrick said:

No worries, I know ther is always going to be something that tears up a bike but what are the odds? You can't protect against everything. My other concern would be, just how much oil-by being tapped into the filter cover would actually be routed thru the cooler and cooled. Seems like a hot or miss system, but thats just me. So If it is, buy the cheapest! If effective, I can see a reason as I ride a lot of hi speed hiway here.

the odds depend heavily on what you're using the bike for. is it 100% SUMO? never ride anything rougher than fire roads? probably not gonna have a problem

do you look at a trail that's all washed out roots and say "know what, that looks like a hoot!"....you're gonna have a bad time.