KTM exc 200 engine case issue/slight problem!

Just a question on a issue I have ran into! 

I was taking off the carb yesterday to give it a clean, after removing it I decided to take off all the tubes from carb and engine and replace/clean them due to filled with dirt! 

Upon remving the tube from the engine that sits just under the carb manifold/reeds the actual nipple the tube sits on broke from the engine, pictures included!

Where do I stand, can I cover the hole up then fix the issue when I next tear the engine down? Because my engine is running great ATM and wasn't planning on rebuilding it until start of next year as it's fresh anyway!

advice appreciated, I'd like to really be able to block it off then forget about it for now....

IMG_4664.JPG

IMG_4666.JPG

That barbed fitting is your gearbox breather connection.  It looks like it simply broke off.  Remove carb for better access and extract the remnants (possibly easyout or bolt extractor) of the fitting and install a new one.  you may be able to find it as an OEM part but if not go to the hardware store and get a brass barbed fitting of the right size and thread/jbweld/secure it in there any way possible.  It needs a length of hose following your carb vent hoses out the bottom of the bike.  It will allow dirt and water into the gearbox without a vent hose there.  Do not cap it

Can you get a better pic of the engine? 

Thanks for the feedback and reply, I am not in at the minute so can't get a picture right now, with the carb removed it would still be a massive ach to get at, removing the engine would be the real only way to do it properly, I'm not going to cap it off but does it need to be there as surely a capping it off would be no different to dirt being stuck in the tube?

thanks 

Yeah that hole needs to be open to allow the expansion of gasses in the gearbox.  As the oil heats up it off-gasses and if that nipple were sealed off it would cause the gearbox to pressurize=blown seals. 

Or you could buy a vented oil filler cap and seal the burst part in the case. They are widely available for KTMs in the UK. Judd Racing, MBO etc stock them and also advertised on ebay. £17.99. Bob.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help! All replies were helpful and I have learnt something new ??

Will go with the cheaper option and less time consuming one of replacing filler cap and filling the hole! 

Thanks ??

As suggested use JB Weld - it's like 2 core putty, cut off the length you need, knead, then block old vent hole with it. It is perfect for this type of job and again widely available in the UK.