Oil, need help!

So I just bought a VOR 503cc and the manual says I should use 5w-50 oil, but I can't find that for motorcycles anywhere... Do you think 10w-40 will be good? Semi or fully synthetic? Thanks for any help :)1494864915817.jpeg

• Like 1

I have no idea waht a VOR 503cc is but it looks like a sweet supermoto :)

Personally in my CFR250R I use 10W40 Maxima Synthblend4 in my bike all year from 0C to 30C

This doesn't show 5w50 but IMO 10W40 should be just fine cus really what you need to look at is the outside temperature range your are riding the bike at.

IE 10W40 -30C to +40C

MPb69.png

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

http://www.belray.com/bel-ray-thumper-racing-synthetic-ester-blend-4t-engine-oil
Thats what I use on my 525. You really should get a 50 weight oil if that is what it calls for. The cold weight is not as important depending on where you live. 

So 10w-50 is a better solution then? That I can get, but I have not found any stores in here in Norway that sells 5w-50 for motorcycles...

Either 10w or 15w is fine. Just make sure to use a 50 weight if that's what your engine is designed for.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bobatsea said:

The cold weight is not as important depending on where you live. 

He is in Norway, I think it gets pretty cold...

46 minutes ago, olav.knutson said:

And that means...? 10w or 15w?

The first number, 5w, 10w etc. is the cold or winter (that what the 'w' means) weight. The lower the number, the thinner the viscosity. If it's really cold, you want the oil to still flow, so a thinner viscosity is good. If the oil is too thick it flows poorly, which can result in a lot of wear until the engine oil comes up to temp.

In short, a lower cold temp number, 5w, or 10w, is better for cold climate than a higher one (15w, 20w etc.).

• Like 2

The difference between the first # and 2nd # are displaced in the pic I posted IE SAE 5W  then SAE 30.

Then the bottom part shows the overall ranges.

IMO If you are riding the bike in -20/30C temps you are more of a man than I am :)

Then really the difference between SAE 40 and 50 at upper temps is only about 5C and if it gets to 45 to 50C in Norway any time of the year its global warming at its worst and we should really worried.

Personally pick a range of oil for your overall riding temps BUT for high performance bikes you ride hard, buy the best quality oil you can afford then change oil and oil filter frequently.

• Like 1