05 crf450r bottom end rebuild new crank installed wrong

Need help! Did my first bottom end rebuild 05 crf450r and I believe I didn't put the new crank in correctly. Every thing was replaced all bearings, seals and new crank all oem. Wile putting on the fly wheel I then notice the woodruff key slot was not center and off little to the left. Now I can't get the timing marks lined up on the right side with TDC. Do I have to re split the case and line up the crank? Will the new seals be ok and I only have to replace all the gaskets? Bike was never started.

Rotate the flywheel to line up. Carefully slip the flywheel on, ensuring that the key does not get pushed out when you install the flywheel. Snug up the nut. Put your cams in, lobes off of the valves, line up the cam timing marks. Install the cam chain tensioner, confirm the marks line up. Rotate the engine BY HAND (use your hands on the flywheel) two revolutions, confirm  the timing marks line up still.

• Like 1

Make sure I understand the engine is completely together , take back off the fly wheel and with the tension off chain, remove sprocket on cam and realign woodruff key and then put back on the flywheel? Then reassemble as stated.

15 hours ago, Ddmoto said:

Make sure I understand the engine is completely together , take back off the fly wheel and with the tension off chain, remove sprocket on cam and realign woodruff key and then put back on the flywheel? Then reassemble as stated.

If you installed the woodruff key, aligned the notch in the flywheel, installed the flywheel/washer/nut and torqued to spec, the flywheel is fine.

Remove the left side allen plug to check your timing (regardless what the manual says).  Align the second or right mark on the flywheel with the notch in the left cover and the cam sprocket with the cam pointer as shown in pics.  Make sure these align after the tensioner is applied.

TDC-Crank.jpg

TDC-Cam.jpg

Sorry for the delay been travling for work. Every thing lines up at TDC on all the marks and also replaced the stator seemed that my spark was not consistent. Put back together I just can't get it to fire. When it feels like it is on TDC when kicking it and I check the marks it is off. Could it be something with the Kickstarter?  Little more history on bike a new head/ valves / piston and cylinder was replaced and rebuilt carb and it fired up and I did the break in and no issues. Took it to the track and 20 minutes into my 3rd Moto bottom left crank seal blew and cam chain chewed up. I shut it down right away and it looked like the head was fine when I tore down. Did complete bottom end with all new crank/seals/bearings and new piston. Could I have a bent valve? Valve measure in same specs when new head was put on?

Sorry for the delay been travling for work. Every thing lines up at TDC on all the marks and also replaced the stator seemed that my spark was not consistent. Put back together I just can't get it to fire. When it feels like it is on TDC when kicking it and I check the marks it is off. Could it be something with the Kickstarter?  Little more history on bike a new head/ valves / piston and cylinder was replaced and rebuilt carb and it fired up and I did the break in and no issues. Took it to the track and 20 minutes into my 3rd Moto bottom left crank seal blew and cam chain chewed up. I shut it down right away and it looked like the head was fine when I tore down. Did complete bottom end with all new crank/seals/bearings and new piston. Could I have a bent valve? Valve measure in same specs when new head was put on?

What do you mean when it feels like its at top dead center? If your timing marks all align then your fine! If the flywheel marks are lined up the motor is at TDC on either the exhaust stroke or the compression stroke! If the top and bottom marks line up together and the cam lobes are facing the intake then your fine! Did you remove the kickstarter assembly, or just the kickstarter arm itaelf? The kickstarter assembly has alignment dots that need to line up for proper operation.