05-07 KIPS Question

Hello everyone,

I am putting together an 06 KX250 and was reinstalling the KIPS system. I cleaned up everything THOROUGHLY, lubed it all with 2t oil, reassembled 3 times to make sure it was all correct, but I think I have an issue. 

When I put the main valve inside the slot, I can easily slide it in and out; takes minimal effort. However when I put the plate with the two pins in, and tighten it down (even ever so slightly) the main valve binds. It takes some force to knock it free. This isnt very complicated, but maybe I am doing something wrong? 

Has anyone had this issue before?

I dont think I explained myself properly

I will take some pictures when I get home. But basically right now with the system installed, I can turn the main shaft by hand and the main valve (not the two side valves) will NOT open. I have to push it open from the inside initially as I feel it binding. I just cant see any where it could be binding...

Maybe what I need to ask is...

Whoever has an 05-07 KX250, when you rremoved/installed/inspected the KIPS system, did the main plunger (valve) in the center open up when the shaft turned? Is it supposed to open up when the shaft rotates or does the force of exhaust pressure open it up at certain RPM's?

I've never taken the powervalve apart on my 05.  Wouldnt recommend it if its working well and is not loaded up with carbon.  Too late in your case though.

The center valve opens first and is controlled by the shaft.  The sub ports open if you continue to rotate the shaft past where the center valve is fully open.  That is why they used a spring on the main valve.  Once the center opens fully the spring allows the shaft to continue to turn and open the sub ports at higher RPM.

It is the spring on the main shaft that pulls out the center valve, and the spring isnt strong enough to pull it out. That is my issue. As I continue to rotate it the sub ports open just fine. Not sure why the center valve is stuck when I tighten the bolts even finger tight.

FYI I had to remove the powervalve as I installed a brand new cylinder