Kx 60 with scratches in cylinder jug

I recently picked up a KX 60 for my son and It had a blown top end. After tearing this thing apart the cylinder has a deep scratch on the exhaust side I was wondering if I can just hone the cylinder until it's smooth again. From looking at it it doesn't appear to have a coating in the cylinder. Machine shops are too expensive and I don't want to put a lot of money into it. I picked it up for $200 and it's a budget build.

• Like 1

Well get it honed and try. You might burn a little oil..
Why wont you just get it bored and new piston?
Theres no '' don't put more money into it'' either keep spending money on oil and keep pouring. Or bore up and get a brand new piston and rings...once

Very true. I took it to a machine shop and to bore it out is $350 more than the bike it's self. I already New a new piston which is $60 and gasket kit at $20 which puts the cost at double the amount to purchase.i was wondering if I honed it out until smooth with out having it played will I go through pistons like crazy or will I damage the top end by over heating.

Has the cylinder been measured at all?
350s a lot. A hone should be $50. Or less. I havent seen it but why is the scratch there to begin with? I could buy a new cylinder for less than 350. Just scotchbrite scrub and put it back together how it is or give her the money she deserves. If you bought a better bike, sure you'd spend more to begin with. But then your chasing friends on trails instead of chasing problems

Well said. The piston skirt shattered they ran a namura piston junk in my book. I live in so cal and shops out here are outrageous. I am doing a complete rebuild on the kx all new bearings and all but to come to find out parts are hard to find for this bike. I am in the middle of rebuilding the bottom end because I have two boys that will ride this one it is a budget build saying I don't won't to sink more in the bike than what's it's worth. I got this bike because the bike height is perfect for him and the more expensive new bikes are too tall for him.

Well said. The piston skirt shattered they ran a namura piston junk in my book. I live in so cal and shops out here are outrageous. I am doing a complete rebuild on the kx all new bearings and all but to come to find out parts are hard to find for this bike. I am in the middle of rebuilding the bottom end because I have two boys that will ride this one it is a budget build saying I don't won't to sink more in the bike than what's it's worth. I got this bike because the bike height is perfect for him and the more expensive new bikes are too tall for him.

If you live near Huntington Beach, I'll get you a parts discount at HB Honda. I know it's Kawi but we got aftermarket dealers same places you'd be getting parts from. But it takes me nothing to give you a discount. What's wrong with Namura? I just used one in a build. Bike has less than one hour so far. Ill see.
Ya sounds like measuring needs to get done. Hit me up. I live in SD. But my motorcycle industrial connects are in OC. Threefifty...cmon. You can buy a ball hone and do it yourself
Im in OC another week. I got stuff in SD on the 24th. But back and forth

That would be great I am in Rancho 30 minutes south of HB. This is the second bike I have rebuilt with a Namura piston in it. Granted the people I got the bike's off of probably weren't on the game about keeping up with the maintenance and checking fluids.

Hone out scratches from a nikasil cylinder to "fix" the problem? LOL. You would be making it WORSE. Go get it replated...

KX60's are Nikasil plated. We can get you sorted. If it has no damage and doesn't require welding, we can have it stripped, plated, and diamond honed to perfection for $209.95. 

Let us know if we can help.

www.millennium-tech.net

• Like 1

Never heard or seen a Namura problem. And Ive seen TONS of amateur builders.
I just built a motor with one and it's awesome. Ive seen kids win thousands racing bikes with Namura slugs. Never personally seen one Namura issue.
And 21O is fine to have experience take care of it. Cause my diamond hone cost me two hundred and I just use it on a drill press for steel cylinders. Im no machinist. And machinists usually have thousand dollar tools and have been doing it for years.
Sucks to pay though. I love steel

$210 sounds like a great price the cylinder is in pretty good shape other than there is a scratch on the exhaust side to which I can catch it with my nail hopefully you will be able to hone it out.

• Like 1

It does not matter what piston you use. If you abuse the bike you're going to have an issue. I have seen quite a few piston with 4 corner seizure. Classic symptom that they ran it with no premix or too little. They alway blame the piston for the problem.

• Like 1

It does not matter what piston you use. If you abuse the bike you're going to have an issue. I have seen quite a few piston with 4 corner seizure. Classic symptom that they ran it with no premix or too little. They alway blame the piston for the problem.

I would have to agree with you. I purchase bikes broken beaten and ugly for the right price that I can afford, I spend my personal time and money rebuilding bikes as a hobby that I can enjoy with my family. I've noticed after buying 5 bikes that they are abused with neglect to maintenance that's 100% why the piston is destroyed by being over worked. I stated earlier that namura is junk by the fact that they both have caused cylinder damage but I can tell you I bought the bikes off of people that can't even afford diapers for baby