Sign in to follow this  

83 xl600 cam issue.

Hey guys,

just in the midst of starting to pull down my motor and iv just taken to the valve cover off the top of the engine to inspect the condition and noticed that one of the rockers has been worn down terribly.. :( Could someone here with a bit of knowledge with these engines tell me what this is likely the cause?

And the automatic release valve looks like its been siliconed up too..

IMG_0709.JPG

Image-1.jpg

Oil starvation. Your SOL for an OE cam.

The rear center head bolt is under the red circle.

I just got off the phone with Web Cam. Ordered one for a XR650l I'm working on. They can also recondition the rocker arms.

• Like 1

How much are much are talking to recondition or is it worth it getting 2nd hand ones ?

I have rebuilt two of these both 83s . You should dig a little deeper before spending a lot. on a new cam and rockers. I went with used parts on both mine it took a while to locate good parts but they are out there. Biggest problem is the low Canadian dollar by the time you do the exchange and the shipping from the states it gets expensive. With that glob of silicon on the bolt head i would suspect there is a blockage somewhere in an oil passage. You are also missing the reed valve . This help cools the valves and i think is only on the 83s . 

IMG_20170516_204208.thumb.jpg.b4608a593f4ae5c57f2c79e1af978875.jpg

I have rebuilt two of these both 83s . You should dig a little deeper before spending a lot. on a new cam and rockers. I went with used parts on both mine it took a while to locate good parts but they are out there. Biggest problem is the low Canadian dollar by the time you do the exchange and the shipping from the states it gets expensive. With that glob of silicon on the bolt head i would suspect there is a blockage somewhere in an oil passage. You are also missing the reed valve . This help cools the valves and i think is only on the 83s . 
IMG_20170516_204208.thumb.jpg.b4608a593f4ae5c57f2c79e1af978875.jpg

Sorry it might seem like a silly question but what's the advantage of blocking it up if there's already a blocked passage?

the valve is not for oil it lets a little bit of gas to go by the right side valves until the secondary carb opens. I dont know what happens if you run without it. The newer xls had the passage built into the carb insulator i believe.

the valve is not for oil it lets a little bit of gas to go by the right side valves until the secondary carb opens. I dont know what happens if you run without it. The newer xls had the passage built into the carb insulator i believe.

Sweet thanks heaps! I'll try get my hands on that reed, I'll post more of the tear town this weekend.
Surely to find more " backyard specials ".

If you look close it looks like most of the reed valve is there, but 1/3 of it is broken off, you'll need to find that piece of metal before the gears do.

• Like 2

If you look close it looks like most of the reed valve is there, but 1/3 of it is broken off, you'll need to find that piece of metal before the gears do.

Already check pretty sure some has just removed it totally, don't know why though.

Look closely at your picture, under the "reed stay" right where you drew the red circle and you can see the reed valve tip broken off just where the round port begins. At first I thought it was an artifact (impression) from the reed but you can see the port (left side) is not round because the broken reed squares it off.

Look closely at your picture, under the "reed stay" right where you drew the red circle and you can see the reed valve tip broken off just where the round port begins. At first I thought it was an artifact (impression) from the reed but you can see the port (left side) is not round because the broken reed squares it off.

You were so right!! I had a closer look this morning and found a piece of metal the size of a finger tip wedged down this port!
IMG_0720.JPG
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, 83tracker said:

You were so right!! I had a closer look this morning and found a piece of metal the size of a finger tip wedged down this port!
IMG_0720.JPG

I always toss the reed, support and bolt. There not in any other RFVC in the first place. There only as necessary as your appendix.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2017 at 11:16 AM, 83tracker said:

How much are much are talking to recondition or is it worth it getting 2nd hand ones ?

My bill was $563.00 including tax and shipping in California for the Web cam and reconditioned rockers.

• Like 1