CRF250X - Will not return to Idle

This sounds (maybe) similar to what we are experiencing with my son's 04 CRF250X.  We just bought a rebuilt carb and installed.  No other changes were made to the bike, but now the throttle will not completely return to idle.  It feels like there is not enough spring tension to push the throttle return cable completely back to idle.  We have checked the cables and throttle body, and although the throttle body/grip is pretty sloppy (unlike my 92 XR600), nothing is obviously binding.  When the engine is OFF, the physical feel of the throttle grip seems a bit different (feels like it snaps fully back to idle position).  While running, it only returns roughly 80-90% back, thus leaving the engine at a very high idle. It is a PITA to get the carb in and out and that labor equates to big $$$ at the shop.  Hoping for a magic fix.

I split your post off as it is never polite to 'gloom' onto another guys thread.

Is there play in the throttle cables? Can you move the throttle back and forth a little, see the cables move and the throttle wheel stay put? The cables must have a little play.

Does the throttle wheel 'tang' hit the idle adjuster screw and does the idle speed adjuster screw move?

Is the vacuum release plate installed properly?

Many times, buying a used carb, you might get something worse than you were replacing it with.