500 EXCF, The best bike ever, that lies to me.

I've owned 13 bikes now, 7 of them dualsports, 6 sportbikes/other and the 2017 500excf I bought is by far the most fun bike I've ever owned! It has just enough punch on the highway to get around cars and pass without worry in stock config. Low end power that feels like it will pull me backwards out of the seat. Light enough that it reminds me of when I used to muscle around my little TW200 and do donuts in my yard (was my first bike). I've had more fun on this bike in one month than I have on any bike I've owned.

It also lies to me. It tells me "You are a good rider, it's all you doing this!", when I know that it's really the bike being flat out awesome. It begs me to take it into the dirt and lean it over, do donuts, go over stuff. It's always telling me to go off the highway onto the shoulder and explore. Bad influence; this bike.

Edited by kayakingsteve
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kayakingsteve said:

It also lies to me. It tells me "You are a good rider, it's all you doing this!", when I know that it's really the bike being flat out awesome. It begs me to take it into the dirt and lean it over, do donuts, go over stuff. It's always telling me to go off the highway onto the shoulder and explore. Bad influence; this bike.

Why do ALL of these bikes LIE!?!??

My 500 EXC lies to me all the time, and tells me that I'm a MUCH better rider than when I was riding my DRZ. Maybe that was my DRZ admitting that it was a pig!!!

Edited by cadman_ks

Wait, wait, don't you need to roll it into your garage and spend another $2000 on stuff and grease and prep and desmog and remap and adjust TPS?  And then ride it 1-2 times and then get the suspension redone.

You can't possibly be having fun with it in stock condition!   ;) 

1 hour ago, usedtobefast said:

Wait, wait, don't you need to roll it into your garage and spend another $2000 on stuff and grease and prep and desmog and remap and adjust TPS?  And then ride it 1-2 times and then get the suspension redone.

You can't possibly be having fun with it in stock condition!   ;) 

`

1 hour ago, cadman_ks said:

IMPOSSIBLE!!!

WHAT WAS I THINKING?!  I forgot that without replacing the stock suspension components, and _______ and________ and _________ $$$$ that the bike was basically just a useless pile of bolts. Barely ride-able! Basically they just give you a bucket full of parts covered in oil at the dealership and then you take it home and set it in your garage and look at it...  SORRY!

Mine lies to me, too. She keeps telling me I'm not 60 years old and I believe her....right up until I dismount :/

• Like 2

I hadn't been on a real dirt bike for about 8 years before buying this one.  It took me a couple rides to get my dirt bike mindset back but damn, they are a confidence inspiring bike!!

I haven't ridden a bike in 25 years and I get on the 500 and feel like I never got off. First couple rides I was slow but I'm getting faster which is a bad thing when your older. You definitely need to respect this beast. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 500excf said:

I haven't ridden a bike in 25 years and I get on the 500 and feel like I never got off. First couple rides I was slow but I'm getting faster which is a bad thing when your older. You definitely need to respect this beast. 

LOL!!

That sums up my experience very conscisely... 

2 hours ago, cadman_ks said:

LOL!!

That sums up my experience very conscisely... 

I'm practicing doing 180's, donuts and sliding the rear end out on hardpacked sand here... it's so light compared to my old BMW F800GS that I really am not afraid to dump it at low speeds. The BMW was a tank... not fun at low speed at all.

Yup. Mine keeps telling me she's not just a street legal dual sport. I had to find out the truth at the mx track :D

IMG_0328.PNG

Edited by s4awd

4 minutes ago, s4awd said:

Yup. Mine keeps telling me she's not just a street legal dual sport. I had to find out the truth at the mx track :D

IMG_0328.PNG

Do they get out of your way when you blow the horn?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, s4awd said:

IMG_0328.PNG

I love showing up to the MX track with blinkers!!! ;)

• Like 2

That's quite presence of mind to press the horn button just before you crash. One must keep their wits about them. 

18 minutes ago, retrorider said:

That's quite presence of mind to press the horn button just before you crash. One must keep their wits about them. 

I'm forever signalling my buddies right before I crash that I'm going down to the right or the left.

Oh wait.  Maybe that does rally matter since I'm always bringing up the rear.

Naaaa.  I like what I said originally, I'm signalling for their benefit.   ;)

35 minutes ago, 500excf said:

Hopefully your ok. Looks like it might have hurt cadman!

Not me!!!  (Thank goodness)

That was S4awd!!!  

18 hours ago, cadman_ks said:

Not me!!!  (Thank goodness)

That was S4awd!!!  

I wear more gear than a linebacker so it wasn't too bad. Went to NJMP FOD feeling much better :)

IMG_1729.JPG

IMG_1662.JPG