Question regarding crankcase cover installation

So I'm about to put my stator side crankcase cover back and I can't recall what side this washer goes on. It's the washer that comes out with the small gear after taking the case off (not the cluster) but the more internal gear that sits on that little rod. 

In this video it seems this guy had the same question I did, I believe he's saying the washer goes on the outside (between the case and the gear)? So my other question is there supposed to be another washer for the other side of the gear as well?

Have a look in the Drz Faq forum at the top of the page under stator and starter clutch loctite fix.It explains the correct orientation of the washers and the error in the oem parts fiche.That should set you straight.

So I found this post. the washer I need to put on is Part #2 in the picture under step 7 but the picture still doesn't show the gear that goes on #4. Based off the picture it looks like #2 goes on the outside of #4 so between the gear and cover?

On the shaft starting from the motor case - washer, retaining ring, washer, gear cluster. There is no thrust washer on the stepped end of the gear shaft.

Okay awesome so the gear cluster is the last thing to go on the shaft before the case cover goes back on, thanks for clearing that up! It just seemed off to me that there wouldn't be a washer separating the gear from where the stepped section meets the crankcase cover.

Edited by Dabwick

It is counter intuitive. The problem is the trust washer can fall of the full diameter on to the step and get pinched aganst the case.  In reality it probably makes no difference where you place the thrust washers but my above post is correct and proven best.

Okay awesome I appreciate the help! Also I didn't loctite the stator bolts before putting the case back on last night so looks like I'm going back in again to do that quick fix.

Very good idea.You can carefully reuse the gasket by applying a thin film of grease to both sides of it.Don't forget to do the starter clutch bolts while you're in there again too.