1996 XR600R outer clutch basket won't come off

I have a 96 XR600R that I'm finally getting around to addressing a skipping kickstarter. It's been skipping/slipping in the same place for several years now. I figured I'd look at replacing the clutch pack while I had things apart. 

All went well with clutch pack and inner basket removal but I can't get the outer basket off. It moves easily back and forth about 1/16th of an inch.  I removed the retaining clip that encircles the center ring of the basket but that made no difference. I can rotate the shaft easily when the basket is pushed back into place but when I pull it out the 1/16th of an inch, I can't rotate the shaft. 

I suspect there may be some burrs between the basket and bearing but am hesitant to use much force. The clutch doesn't show signs of overheating and hasn't been slipping.

Any ideas?

I've got the very same problem. Did you get it figured out?

Yes. I rented a three prong puller from OREILLY Auto and was able to pop it off easy enough. I placed a coin on the center shaft and bushing so the puller had something to push against. It didn't take too much force. When I got the basket off, I could tell that the outer edge of the mating surface between the bushing and the basket had burred together a bit. I bought a new bushing which fit just fine inside the basket but oiled up a ball of 0000 steel wool, attached it to a gun cleaning rod and ran it inside the basket for a bit to smoothing things out. Once done I cleaned everything real well and put it all back together. I've had it out a few times now with no issues. 

Got it today. Thanks. The puller was the way to go. I could almost turn the puller by hand, it slid right off. 

• Like 1