The Beta Blues

8 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

That's a bummer.. I think it's a delicate balance to get a dealer and a good one. It seems that it's not THAT hard to get a dealership.;. but to be a good dealer is another story. I think..and for Beta or any brand it's hard to get a good dealer too. Dealers don't make very much from what I can tell .. I think more of the money comes from come back.. buying a bike that is expensive already has guys on the verge of not buying anyway.. All brands of dirt bikes are expensive.. I'd say it's worse if you have kids that ride too.. lots of bikes to buy... Beta is a good addition I think to small motor shops that don't have a brand and would get a great one through Beta. It's a win win I think.. The shop still does motor work of all brands and now it does some work for Beta's that it sells..more traffic more customers and come back customers ought to be more... For the bigger exotic dealerships getting Beta is easy I think.. but how much attention does Beta get compared to other brands being sold.. I'm not sure.. it just depends on a lot of factors. The great thing I think is if the dealer actually rides and races..and rides Beta.  I think that's where I lucked out. My dealer is an A rider..although aging a bit..not as old as me but he's strong as an ox and he's an excellent mechanic to boot. So he rides what I ride in terrain and bike..He's a big guy.. bigger than me so I score with size and bike setup. I've ended up riding with his setups. I'd like mine.. then ride his Beta and go shit I want this!! even though his spring rate is higher than what I'd normally choose. .. maybe I'm an ex mx guy so the stiffer is better? idk.. but I've lucked out. .. but just hanging out at the shop sometimes I can't believe the dummies that come in.. what they say.. what they want.. :facepalm: I can see where dealers get pissed.. talk about dummies.. just plain dummies come in.. but I guess that's just part of business these days.

Good points. Being self employed is not easy. I have tried 5 dealers in the last few years. All of them are backed up on repairs. They cant find a good mechanic and don't want to risk hiring a bad one. All 5 are owned by, seems to me , decent people, trying to give good service. By the way, I also have a 01 CR 250. One of the best bikes I have ever owned. It just wont quit running.

Email Tim Pilg. You can just use the email on betas website. Send the pic. Tell them what's going on. It will have been documented.

He'll say work it out with the dealer, but will most likely contact them as well.

Still waiting on the cover to arrive.  I will update as soon as I get the bike back!  I rode a very very muddy trail ride this weekend and really missed my electric start!  At least I spared my Beta from the mud bath I gave the YZ!

The silencer seemed to fix my issue...The fresco was clogged up. Bike couldn't breathe...  Was like starting it with an exhaust plug in it....

Disappointing on the part of the Fresco.  Has anyone taken the screen out and ran it?  Is it the same without the screen?  I don't know how these are designed, but I would imagine with the screen in it, it would be different as far as any back pressure is concerned.  I don't know mush about that stuff. I bought it as a S/A but also have the Q4 stealth (installed).  

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Andrew Puetz said:

The silencer seemed to fix my issue...The fresco was clogged up. Bike couldn't breathe...  Was like starting it with an exhaust plug in it....

Disappointing on the part of the Fresco.  Has anyone taken the screen out and ran it?  Is it the same without the screen?  I don't know how these are designed, but I would imagine with the screen in it, it would be different as far as any back pressure is concerned.  I don't know mush about that stuff. I bought it as a S/A but also have the Q4 stealth (installed).  

Thanks!

Nice.. so simple.. great!

EE's mufflers had screens, you needed to clean them with a torch every ride and they work fine.   

You need a Q, I can bring one to Meadow Valley Sunday and make you a deal.  

Edited by ktm300
14 hours ago, Andrew Puetz said:

Thanks!

An int comb engine is an engine is an engine is an engine. Air has to get in and air(exhaust) has to get out. Simple. I would suggest drilling/punching a few of small(1/16in) holes in the screen. Not in the end of the cone though, just the sides if you decide to use it again. Screens are toopid in my eyes.

7 hours ago, ktm300 said:

EE's mufflers had screens, you needed to clean them with a torch every ride and they work fine.   

You need a Q, I can bring one to Meadow Valley Sunday and make you a deal.  

I do own a Q and the stocker and the fresco...  hhaha  I went overboard....

3 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

An int comb engine is an engine is an engine is an engine. Air has to get in and air(exhaust) has to get out. Simple. I would suggest drilling/punching a few of small(1/16in) holes in the screen. Not in the end of the cone though, just the sides if you decide to use it again. Screens are toopid in my eyes.

I tore the screen out.  I guess I was a little impatient...  I will see how it works when I re-install it next...

15 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Nice.. so simple.. great!

Now I just need to get hours on this bad boy!

Not a lot of riding done this year...  Having another kiddo and just moved.  But to follow up with this topic, I finally did my second oil change.  Here is my plug again...  Any other thoughts??  It bugs the sh*t out of me.  Bike riding good though!!  As far as I can tell...  I have approx 160 miles (can't recall hours) one Hare Scramble and the rest trail riding.

IMG_1938.JPG

IMG_1939.JPG

Edited by Andrew Puetz
Last sentence added
38 minutes ago, Andrew Puetz said:

Not a lot of riding done this year...  Having another kiddo and just moved.  But to follow up with this topic, I finally did my second oil change.  Here is my plug again...  Any other thoughts??  It bugs the sh*t out of me.  Bike riding good though!!  As far as I can tell...  I have approx 160 miles (can't recall hours) one Hare Scramble and the rest trail riding.

IMG_1938.JPG

IMG_1939.JPG

Change your oil again and go riding. Come home.. change oil again and look again.. and go riding again.. repeat..:smirk::ride: If there's a problem  you'll find out .. but if not keep riding. Make use of the Beta warranty if you need to.. if not enjoy the bike.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
12 hours ago, Andrew Puetz said:

IMG_1938.JPG

IMG_1939.JPG

My gosh, that's a lot of metal.  I'd show my dealer this picture for sure.  If it was mine, I wouldn't ride it until dealer said it was okay to do so.

1 hour ago, Thewegian said:

My gosh, that's a lot of metal.  I'd show my dealer this picture for sure.  If it was mine, I wouldn't ride it until dealer said it was okay to do so.

That is perfectly normal for a new bike. As Duane (HDR)  stated just change oil and ride it. The muffler screen has no effect on power or the way motor runs unless its clogged. I too had EE stinger screens on my 300 2T. I would get at least 2 or three races before having to clean them.

19 minutes ago, ballisticexchris said:

That is perfectly normal for a new bike. As Duane (HDR)  stated just change oil and ride it. The muffler screen has no effect on power or the way motor runs unless its clogged. I too had EE stinger screens on my 300 2T. I would get at least 2 or three races before having to clean them.

Man, I don't know about that amount of steel....I've owned scores of bikes and never had that much steel build-up, and that was his second oil change. 

I might be concerned about drive train (gear box, clutch) related wear with that amount of metal.  To make sure you're covered if the problem escalates, it might not be a bad idea to write a letter to the dealer that includes your concerns and the pictures of the metal build-up, as documentation for future warranty repairs (in the unlikely event that is required).  keep a copy and send it return receipt postage.

Edited by kawagumby
2 minutes ago, kawagumby said:

Man, I don't know about that amount of steel....I've owned scores of bikes and never had that much steel build-up, and that was his second oil change.  Any problems with shifting?  I might be concerned about gear box related wear with that amount of metal.  To make sure you're covered if the problem escalates, it might not be a bad idea to write a letter that includes your concerns and the pictures of the metal build-up, as documentation for future warranty repairs (in the unlikely event that is required).  I'd send it return receipt postage.

I got that much fuzz on both my 300 and 498 when they were new. It truly is no big deal. 

1 minute ago, ballisticexchris said:

I got that much fuzz on both my 300 and 498 when they were new. It truly is no big deal. 

You may very well be right.  My two Betas certainly had nothing like that... but in any case, it wouldn't hurt to put the dealer on notice, IMO.    The fuzz on my Beta's were very short and black hair-like strands (no gleaming silver at all), and the second oil change had very little to speak of.  Mebbe there's a lot of variation in break in gunk out there...hard to say.

28 miles, 3 hours. IMG_20170516_170718734.jpg.7ccbbb72a18be76b052650419d3176a2.jpg

That was break in on my Xtrainer. I changed it last week at 12 hours and 120 miles. It had about half the amount as the original oil change.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

I don't know. Yes, it seems like a lot of metal for the first oil change. But I would have continued to ride it. that same amount of metal for the second seems excessive.

Fuzz is one thing, metal shards is another. I would put the dealer on notice.

I will certainly let dealer know!  again, it hasnt missed a beat so i am not losing much sleep. I just dont want to be hung out to dry if there is an issue later on down the road!