The Beta Blues

Hi All!  After taking delivery of my 2017 300RR Race Edition, I couldn't wait to ride.  I live in Minnesota and had a long cold wet winter spring before I could get out.  I put on the recommended 3 hours before first oil change on the gearbox (might be closer to 4hrs). Love the Bike BTW...  Its awesome in the twisties! So anyhow, I pulled the drain plug to find some metal in on the magnetic tip.  (Below).

Not sure if that's part of it being a new bike, but changed it, then rode it in the woods the next day.  It rode well for 30 min.  Then it gradually lost power.  After another 30 min, I could barely make it up a hill. I would say it had 25% of its power.  I nursed it back to the truck.  Engine sounded a little funny but not sure how to describe it.  Bike is a BYOB race edition...  Fresco pipe, stock carb, it was 80F outside, 0-1000ft elevation.  Ran it 50:1 on the recommended Motul 800, now at 60:1 as explained in the manual.

Again, no idea what happened, but it was gutless.  Totally different than the first few hours. Almost like it couldn't breathe, and was fighting to stay alive.

Bike is headed to the dealer Tuesday 5/16.  I will update as I hear.

Any thoughts/ideas?

-Andy

IMG_1387.JPG

Edited by Andrew Puetz
Add premix info

:( 

good luck with that. Hope they get it sorted for you. None of my new bikes have made a mess like that.

Edited by BushPig
  • Like 1

Warranty is nice. Mine had no where near that size and amount of debris during first oil change. I don't have race edition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Puetz said:

So anyhow, I pulled the drain plug to find some metal in on the magnetic tip.  (Below).

Not sure if that's part of it being a new bike, but changed it, then rode it in the woods the next day.  

IMG_1387.JPG

The metal shavings on the drain plug were a cry for help. My guess is that you lost a gear and it gradually tightened up the primary drive or transmission until the engine couldn't overcome it.

Immediately call a "Lemon Law" lawyer.  Trust me.  Lemon laws are good but people need to be educated.  Win or lose, the consumer never pays any fees.  Call one.  If you think you got a lemon, you need to start the paper trail ASAP during the warranty period.

• Like 1

Does seem a lot on the plug. No issues with mine (17 300 RR not race.) Got it last fall. Good luck! Hope you have a good dealer, my Beta dealer has been very responsive and dealt with any issues I had on my 15 and now my 17. You should document everything in case your dealer isn't helpful in the end, but give him a chance to make it right before coming at him all bent out of shape. From what I have seen Beta is good at backing up their bikes. Some dealers though are not as good as others (same is true of other brands.)

• Like 1

This was mine after one ride

IMG_1494912678.197816.jpg

I will document everything.  and I am a car dealer as a trade...  so I know about lemon laws for sure!  But I wont pursue unless it doesn't get fixed.  That's all I want.  Frustrating because there is a huge trailride this weekend...  

9 hours ago, NW_drZ said:

This was mine after one ride

IMG_1494912678.197816.jpg

Yikes...  rides OK?

Mine rides fine. I'd imagine it's pretty normal on break in with a new bike. Especially with the magnetic tip picking everything up

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NW_drZ said:

Mine rides fine. I'd imagine it's pretty normal on break in with a new bike. Especially with the magnetic tip picking everything up

My Ktm had about as much as yours but some big splinters like the op as well.

I thought it was eating itself but the dealer said it was "normal". It slowly went away.. 

I'm curious if the op bike shifts fine? Has to be something going on with the top end if he's down on power like that..

• Like 1

From my 30+ years in fixing cars, bikes etc... Its very normal to get some shavings during the break in period. It should lighten up and almost be non existent but as tight as things are made anymore, your going to get some wear.

Not sure if OP's amount is normal, I didn't have that much but I had some, second change, pretty clean. No issues. 17 300RR Race. LOVING IT!!!!

• Like 4

Hi All!  After taking delivery of my 2017 300RR Race Edition, I couldn't wait to ride.  I live in Minnesota and had a long cold wet winter spring before I could get out.  I put on the recommended 3 hours before first oil change on the gearbox (might be closer to 4hrs). Love the Bike BTW...  Its awesome in the twisties! So anyhow, I pulled the drain plug to find some metal in on the magnetic tip.  (Below).

Not sure if that's part of it being a new bike, but changed it, then rode it in the woods the next day.  It rode well for 30 min.  Then it gradually lost power.  After another 30 min, I could barely make it up a hill. I would say it had 25% of its power.  I nursed it back to the truck.  Engine sounded a little funny but not sure how to describe it.  Bike is a BYOB race edition...  Fresco pipe, stock carb, it was 80F outside, 0-1000ft elevation.  Ran it 50:1 on the recommended Motul 800, now at 60:1 as explained in the manual.
Again, no idea what happened, but it was gutless.  Totally different than the first few hours. Almost like it couldn't breathe, and was fighting to stay alive.

Bike is headed to the dealer Tuesday 5/16.  I will update as I hear.

Any thoughts/ideas?

-Andy
IMG_1387.thumb.JPG.5ffefc3ca690eb225ca08fe28c4768a3.JPG

How many miles did you rack up in 3 hours? I'm at around 27. I'm going to change my oil today. I'm curious what I might find now.

OP's is far from normal, the other I can understand.  My bike has always had a spotless magnet, its almost odd.  All my GGs and my buddy's GG have always been pretty fuzzy, but teardowns did not reveal anything to worry about. 

• Like 4

Don't you have a post about the abnormal clutch issues?

I do, it's in regards to clutch drag and the engagement point being very close to the bars. From what I have read it's not uncommon in new Euro bikes. The motor itself is running great.

I do, it's in regards to clutch drag and the engagement point being very close to the bars. From what I have read it's not uncommon in new Euro bikes. The motor itself works fantastic.

That's good. Did you figure it out?
The reason it caught my attention is because I have the 300 motor and I also have a 2014 YZ250F. We both have 2 bikes that share the same parts. I think the Beta clutch is fantastic, that's why I thought your post was strange and couldn't relate.

That's good. Did you figure it out?
The reason it caught my attention is because I have the 300 motor and I also have a 2014 YZ250F. We both have 2 bikes that share the same parts. I think the Beta clutch is fantastic, that's why I thought your post was strange and couldn't relate.

Burning in the clutch has helped quite a bit. I've never had a hydraulic clutch bike and I think it's going to take a little time to adjust to. That coupled with it being new. The close engagement point requires the clutch to be pulled in so far to prevent stalling when modulating in slow nasty stuff. And that gets tiring quick. I'm use to the modulation and engagement point being a little later in the release (around midway point). I like this because it's less of a pull and an easier modulation. In addition, the hydro clutch is very grabby. So it's very sensitive. My cable clutches seem to have more forgiveness when modulating the engagement and disengagement. Again though, it's getting better with wearing in the clutch.
  • Like 3

I have a 2017 500, this is my plug the first time. I thought mine was too much but, you win. Hope it's an easy fix. After waiting it is time to ride!

WteC-vF_MwuwKSllRcDqNcGQuJsdd5qdcL08XGTy

• Like 1