Upgrade to newer model DRZ before dropping $$$ on mods or keep the 2005?

Would you guys recommend I upgrade my fairly stock unknown km 2005 drz400 to a newer ('11-'13) model and THEN start dropping money on cams, big bore, etc (paying an extra $1500 for the difference between bike prices in my area) or would you stick with the 2005? I know these bikes are reliable but things like frame, forks, hoses, etc have unknown history for me...What would you do?

You know your bike probably. Is there anything you're worried about? If no then I would stick with it. Except if you can buy a modded one. That would be the most cost effective, because you can't usually sell modded bike for the price of unmodded + price of all the mods. Ofc if you can find one with mods you would have. 

What's so good about 2005 apart from gfx if you don't mind me asking?

I've only been doing oil and filter etc - would you guys recommend replacing any major components that may be prone to age damage as a preventative measure or just wait until something dies and upgrade etc etc?

55 minutes ago, Bonza said:

What's so good about 2005 apart from gfx if you don't mind me asking?

I've only been doing oil and filter etc - would you guys recommend replacing any major components that may be prone to age damage as a preventative measure or just wait until something dies and upgrade etc etc?

Kidding you on the year. Since 2002 there have been no noteworthy changes. Why wouldn;t you keep your well maintained bike and mod it?

Because i've had it 3 months but who knows the history etc it is pretty rough seeming - seeign as there's no noteworthy changes as of late I think i'll stick with it unless a newer tastefully modified one comes up for cheap.