Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Fan wiring?

Recommended Posts

Have bought a KTM 4 inch Spalding fan and the standard copper sensor that goes in the radiator but it only  1 connection for wire.

Anybody know how to connect all this or have a wire diagram how to connect? 

It would be very priciated because I am lost when it comes to electricity.

Edited by skorpan777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That one wire on the thermo switch is connected to the ground wire on the fan.

I found the rad is not well grounded so I ran a wire from the switch (hose clamped to the switch hex) to the frame.

IMG_0809.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Kenstone said:

That one wire on the thermo switch is connected to the ground wire on the fan.

I found the rad is not well grounded so I ran a wire from the switch (hose clamped to the switch hex) to the frame.

IMG_0809.JPG

OK thanks for the help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Undercover Poe said:

This seems like a must do modification. I hear people using old computer fan

Not something I "hear people are using", but something I've done and posted that pic of it.

A NEW 120mmx25mm case fan can be had for $10 and a waterproof version for about $20 on either Ebay or Amazon.

And that thermal switch, one or two wire your choice, for another $10+/-, same place.

If you choose ebay, I suggest buying both from a US seller for shortest shipping time.

I'm sure that ktm fan "kit" cost way more than that.

:ride:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not something I "hear people are using", but something I've done and posted that pic of it.
A NEW 120mmx25mm case fan can be had for $10 and a waterproof version for about $20 on either Ebay or Amazon.
And that thermal switch, one or two wire your choice, for another $10+/-, same place.
If you choose ebay, I suggest buying both from a US seller for shortest shipping time.
I'm sure that ktm fan "kit" cost way more than that.
:ride:
 

Do you have any links you can post?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And there is the TrailTech fan kit for the CRF150/450s, it includes a very nice digital temp display and programmable thermostat for fan turn on temp.  Just bolts on but does need a power connection; early Xs have a power connection next to the right radiator for the optional Honda fan that provides DC when the engine is running. I connected mine directly to the battery and after engine shut down the fan only runs for 10-20 seconds so not a big battery draw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
And there is the TrailTech fan kit for the CRF150/450s, it includes a very nice digital temp display and programmable thermostat for fan turn on temp.  Just bolts on but does need a power connection; early Xs have a power connection next to the right radiator for the optional Honda fan that provides DC when the engine is running. I connected mine directly to the battery and after engine shut down the fan only runs for 10-20 seconds so not a big battery draw.

Hmmm you guys got me thinking. I have an early crf250x (2004). I even have the trail tech vapor that senses temp as it threw me a code at one point (red light) that said I was too hot when I was romping on it. I wonder if I am half way there. Btw, the trail tech is almost useless, the mileage and speed are not accurate. Either was I should do this modD162543E-EA53-4C9B-8E6C-D561FE8F8956_zpsicwbuu0v.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Undercover Poe said:


Hmmm you guys got me thinking. I have an early crf250x (2004). I even have the trail tech vapor that senses temp as it threw me a code at one point (red light) that said I was too hot when I was romping on it. I wonder if I am half way there. Btw, the trail tech is almost useless, the mileage and speed are not accurate. Either was I should do this mod

Go to the TrailTech web site and download the manual for your Vapor.

The accuracy of speed/distance is dependent on a programmable value for the rolling circumference of the front tire, the manual shows several ways to measure the circumference of the tire.

The trigger points for the warning and danger LED lights can changed for temp and shift/rpm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Go to the TrailTech web site and download the manual for your Vapor.
The accuracy of speed/distance is dependent on a programmable value for the rolling circumference of the front tire, the manual shows several ways to measure the circumference of the tire.
The trigger points for the warning and danger LED lights can changed for temp and shift/rpm.

I figured it out. I used my gps to dial in the trip o meter n my vapor. Just in time too because my gps is on the outs. I'm going to do that fan. I experienced my first overheating in the technicals with my crf250x this past weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run a cheap 5$ computer e-fan on my 250X with a manual toggle switch,

as soon as low speed crawling is anticipated I preventatively flip it on.

(rather than a sensor that has to get hot before it runs the fan)

 

Not sure if it's 100% waterproof but it's on it's 2nd season of riding thru mud followed by washing.

(just careful not to blast it directly with water)

 

It works so well I even removed the coolant overflow tubes and reservoir, never has it boiled over or lost any coolant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mlatour said:

I run a cheap 5$ computer e-fan on my 250X with a manual toggle switch,

as soon as low speed crawling is anticipated I preventatively flip it on.

(rather than a sensor that has to get hot before it runs the fan)

 

Not sure if it's 100% waterproof but it's on it's 2nd season of riding thru mud followed by washing.

(just careful not to blast it directly with water)

 

It works so well I even removed the coolant overflow tubes and reservoir, never has it boiled over or lost any coolant.

Thermo switches of different temps can be bought that turn the fan ON at lower temps, and don't need to be manually "flipped" on/off, something I would forget to do...

:banghead: 

here's one that's 65c/149F, for less than $6, cheap enough:

https://www.amazon.com/XLJOY-Radiator-Thermal-VF1100C-VF1100S/dp/B01IMX7DKQ/ref=pd_day0_263_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01IMX7DKQ&pd_rd_r=FBQCKN18X7X9SEC7W56B&pd_rd_w=CGfxI&pd_rd_wg=EjiNg&psc=1&refRID=FBQCKN18X7X9SEC7W56B

 

Shipped from China though 👎

 

Edited by Kenstone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flipping on a fan is something I'm used too, about the only time it's off when riding is on flat straightaways of roads to connect trails.

 

In a previous vehicle (Dodge RAM 1500) I had removed the OEM clutch fan and installed an e-fan.

After multiple test using thermo switches from a known US manufacturer of various temp ratings (200°, 210°, 220°F)

and keeping a close look at the temperature gauge, I found that none of them had consistent 'on' points.

 

I kept a thermo switch in the circuit as a backup in case I forgot or someone else ever drove the truck but always preferred having manual control over the e-fan.

Edited by mlatour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Several possible ways of wiring in a fan:
On 04-06 models the bike has a 12 volt DC fan connector near the right radiator that is only hot with the engine running. It receives power from a relay that is controlled by the ECU, the relay also provides power for the tail light.  
Newer models do not have the relay with the ECU controlling the ground wire for the tail light rather than the ground for the relay.
I wired my fan directly to the battery and if the fan is running when I stop the engine it only runs another 10-15 seconds at the most, so IMO no problem with the battery.
I have the TrailTech kit and have the stat set for 200F, and the fan only comes on during slow technical riding or long climbs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Kenstone said:

Thermo switches of different temps can be bought that turn the fan ON at lower temps, and don't need to be manually "flipped" on/off, something I would forget to do...

:banghead: 

here's one that's 65c/149F, for less than $6, cheap enough:

https://www.amazon.com/XLJOY-Radiator-Thermal-VF1100C-VF1100S/dp/B01IMX7DKQ/ref=pd_day0_263_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01IMX7DKQ&pd_rd_r=FBQCKN18X7X9SEC7W56B&pd_rd_w=CGfxI&pd_rd_wg=EjiNg&psc=1&refRID=FBQCKN18X7X9SEC7W56B

 

Shipped from China though 👎

 

I've bought one similar so now I have both the single and dubbletter connector 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

Several possible ways of wiring in a fan:
On 04-06 models the bike has a 12 volt DC fan connector near the right radiator that is only hot with the engine running. It receives power from a relay that is controlled by the ECU, the relay also provides power for the tail light.  
Newer models do not have the relay with the ECU controlling the ground wire for the tail light rather than the ground for the relay.
I wired my fan directly to the battery and if the fan is running when I stop the engine it only runs another 10-15 seconds at the most, so IMO no problem with the battery.
I have the TrailTech kit and have the stat set for 200F, and the fan only comes on during slow technical riding or long climbs.

OK, I have already connected directly to battery and it works good

Its a spa 4inch fan that I bought on ebay 55 dollars, it's the same as trailtech I think

Edited by skorpan777
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Several possible ways of wiring in a fan:
On 04-06 models the bike has a 12 volt DC fan connector near the right radiator that is only hot with the engine running. It receives power from a relay that is controlled by the ECU, the relay also provides power for the tail light.  
Newer models do not have the relay with the ECU controlling the ground wire for the tail light rather than the ground for the relay.
I wired my fan directly to the battery and if the fan is running when I stop the engine it only runs another 10-15 seconds at the most, so IMO no problem with the battery.
I have the TrailTech kit and have the stat set for 200F, and the fan only comes on during slow technical riding or long climbs.

This is all good to know. As I have an 04, what are the wires intended for? This fan mod? And can someone explain how the fan physically attached to the radiator guard? Does anyone ever run two fans or just one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honda sells an optional fan kit and the early Xs were pre wired for it, hence the electrical connector near the right radiator. The wiring diagram shows it as "Option" on the wiring diagram is in the Owner's Manual.

The Xs have relatively large radiators so cool pretty good wo a fan, and the coolant recovery system captures expelled coolant. My fan stat is set at 200F and the fan runs only briefly during slow/difficult riding. 
I have a 250cc Trials bike that has a single radiator/fan and no coolant recovery, its fan runs a lot more. I warm up the engine until the fan comes on and then I notice it runs a lot more than the X. Both fans were designed to run when the engines are off,  but I wired the X fan directly to the battery so it will run when the engine is off. Doesn't seem important because if it is on when I stop the engine it only runs for a short time. IMO wiring to the Honda provided connector would be good enough, but I didn't have a mating connector so went straight to the battery with a wire/fuse rather than cut off the OEM connector.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chuck. said:

Honda sells an optional fan kit and the early Xs were pre wired for it, hence the electrical connector near the right radiator. The wiring diagram shows it as "Option" on the wiring diagram is in the Owner's Manual.

The Xs have relatively large radiators so cool pretty good wo a fan, and the coolant recovery system captures expelled coolant. My fan stat is set at 200F and the fan runs only briefly during slow/difficult riding. 
I have a 250cc Trials bike that has a single radiator/fan and no coolant recovery, its fan runs a lot more. I warm up the engine until the fan comes on and then I notice it runs a lot more than the X. Both fans were designed to run when the engines are off,  but I wired the X fan directly to the battery so it will run when the engine is off. Doesn't seem important because if it is on when I stop the engine it only runs for a short time. IMO wiring to the Honda provided connector would be good enough, but I didn't have a mating connector so went straight to the battery with a wire/fuse rather than cut off the OEM connector.

My X has a lighting kit with fused circuits, so I tapped the positive horn wire for fan power.

:ride:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...