Another Fork Question (not a 230)

There seems to be quite a bit of knowledge on this topic so i thought maybe someone can help answer a question on my 2000 XR650R cartridge forks. I posted this on the AdvRider site but have had no comments so far:

"The right fork rebound adjuster sits well above the fork cap while left is flush at the same turns out. ( 10 in this photo.) The right side has 22 clicks of adjustment while the left has 32. It came from the factory this way and did not change after doing the Bornyack revalve. I am concerned there maybe a difference in the rebound settings from one side to the other."

XR650r Right Fork IMG_1047.jpg

This is simple fix I use highly modded Xr650r forks on WR450s. There is a nut below cap you adjust it till you have Hondas recommended clicks. Those forks are very good if you do major revalving and hole drilling in base valve.

• Like 1

That is exactly what I needed to know. I did the full revalve, Comp, Reb, and drilled the valve per Bornyacks website. Also did the rear shock, with these mods this is the best suspension Ive ridden so far. One plush pig for all day rides. 

Thanks again BTR

We did even more mods to 650 fork then Bornyacks thread as Wr450 lighter then Xr650. I sure wish I could see spacer. As when I first checked stem If you put 1in spacer under lower bearing on triple clamp perfect fit. Problem bearing now sits on small recessed part of stem,bearing loose.  Help needed from someone done the conversion?

Sorry, I can't help with the spacer, never saw the forks and the spacer wasn't even made yet, just needed one machined to work on the 230,  he said. I would think pressing in a custom stem would be the best option, cutting down the stem and welding seems all well and good but what if the weld broke? It would always on my mind anyways.

After doing some research on the 650 forks I came across this on Advrider:

""Also, when you are setting the damping rod (that small one inside the threaded rod). first inspect the tip that sits in the damper valve. it should be a clean, un-burred point. place the rod in the tube, it will sit on the rebound damper in the cartridge. turn the external adjuster on the fork cap up to the normal # of clicks or turns that these forks have. then, with everything else installed and the springs compressed, turn the cap down on the threaded rod until you feel resistance on it. tighten the cap with the lock nut NOT BY TURNING THE CAP! This will force the valve open and make the damping "soft" or fast. can also damage the rod and valve.

after the damper rod assembly is together, test the clicks on the adjuster to make sure they are where you want them and are even (both forks).""

I'm not sure how many clicks out it should be when setting the locknut to the cap, or the range the 650 has.

Ok I just found thread on xr250 fork to 230. They used 5 - 5/8 washers drilled to 1in. Pictures show two on bottom under bearing  3 washers under top triple clamp. I still cannot see how this would work on spacing. I will try washers to check fit. Had two calls this morning from experts that are welders and Dirt bike guys.  Stem center hole need metal rod tight fit pounded in. Said that centers stem perfect to weld,and helps if bike hits brick wall at 60 mph from breaking. Still dont like welding stem

After further research, there is a procedure to set the rebound adjuster on this type fork (with the reb. adjustment on the cap.) :

The locknut on the dampner rod is threaded all the way in/down initially.

The rebound adjuster on the cap is backed all the way out, then run in 3 full turns or 12 clicks with the 650.

The cap is threaded hand tight onto the D.R. till it meets the aluminum rebound adjustment rod inside the cap.

Then the locknut on the dampner rod is run up to the cap and torqued to spec. Trick is to only tighten the locknut and not spin the cap as it can "re-index" the rebound. 

This was done on both sides and now each fork has 22 clicks. Before doing this procedure one side had 32 clicks of adjustment so I assume the rebound was not the same on each fork. 

Wow, you changed out the new age forks for 2000's xr650r's, that says something. I did an eighty mile ride yesterday and dialed them within a click for what I usually ride , now looking to fine tuning the shock. Smoothing out washboard is a compromise to overall terrain handling though.

I couldn't find the standard number of rebound clicks for the forks, online or in the manual. Manual also does not mention setting clickers evenly before capping them off either. Curious how many settings does the the modded 450 have?

55 minutes ago, firsthere said:

Wow, you changed out the new age forks for 2000's xr650r's, that says something. I did an eighty mile ride yesterday and dialed them within a click for what I usually ride , now looking to fine tuning the shock. Smoothing out washboard is a compromise to overall terrain handling though.

I couldn't find the standard number of rebound clicks for the forks, online or in the manual. Manual also does not mention setting clickers evenly before capping them off either. Curious how many settings does the the modded 450 have?

I could never be pleased with big Moto usd fork on my 450. The tuned RSU fork is good. Getting back to how many clicks shop is locked up. I'm off on 3 day off road run please PM me on Monday I will check rebound clickers on both 650 forked bikes. My 650 forked bikes are 85% good wish I could get the last perfect.