Sign in to follow this  

Taking my kid to the MX track for the first time. What haven't I thought of?

I grew up on dirt bikes, but didn't start competing in Enduro until I was in my late teens. I've been to many MX events as a spectator, and riden tracks in practice sessions, but never actually raced MX. A lot of this is new territory to me.

Later this month I'm taking my 10 YO son to one of the PA pit bike series races that Tboltusa is sponcering. I know the Tboltusa crew, and have spectated at one of thier events last year. I think thier low pressure atmosphere is the right place for my son to start out.

He's a novice rider with only basic riding skills. I know this track should be safe for him, and this group of ridder's isn't under the delusion that they're trying out for a spot on the pro circuit.

Here's the main point of this thread: What things haven't I thought of that could make or break this first track outing? 

I'm fully capable of dealing with mechanical issues. He has adaquite riding gear. We have basic first aid equipment and I know how to use it. We're packing food and drinks for a full days outing. We have a pop up gazebo for shade. 

I'm sure there's something important that I'm forgetting, but what?

Please share your thoughts and experiences on taking kids to the track.

The kid needs a can of red bull if he's on a KTM, a can of rockstar if on a Husqy, or a can of monster otherwise. lol sorry I couldn't help it. It doesn't sound like you are forgetting anything but maybe a special mixtape to get him pumped up and in the zone on the way to his first race!

• Like 3

Talk to him about:

Holding his line when riding with faster riders. 

Not riding over his head.  A win is having fun and going home safe.

Make sure he knows what all the flags mean.

Where and how to re-enter the track if he goes off track.

• Like 5

Spare levers, spare air filter, chain lube, gas/pre mix obviously, spare goggles, gloves, a can of Pam cooking spray in case the track is muddy. Duct tape, soft foam again in case it's muddy. Zip ties, basic tools, coolant, and camera so you can take pictures to remember it.

Good luck, and remember it's all about fun

• Like 3

Seen so many show up with a bunch of stuff, but go home because they forgot one of the simple things like helmet, goggles or boots. Usually they are experienced riders who just forgot when loading the truck.

I used to ride with a husband/wife couple and they were always forgetting something because they thought the other had loaded it. I guess the same could happen with father/son.

So, never count on the fact that the other person loaded something. Always double check yourself.

I would recommend power bars or a bag of halloween-sized Payday candy bars and lots of water.

The Tunes man! A way to play music in the pits is always nice for down time.

Edited by whoops dude
  • Like 2

No offense meant to those who enjoy racing pit bikes..., but your kids are not going to learn what youth MX is about watching adults race pit bikes.  You may want to take them where they can watch, or practice with kids on 50s, 65s, & 85s so they can learn what to expect if they decide to race.

• Like 1

@4Sevens good points. Especially hold the line. He knows the flags, but reminded are always good. 

@ohiodrz400sm I'm pretty sure I'm not that guy. The goal of this trip is to have fun and learn things he can't learn at home. I just hope he doesn't go into quitter mode, I do have a hard time with that. I never quit anything until long after I should have. LOL.

@FM1R cooking spray is a brilliant idea. Our Spares kit is pretty thin right now, but I will definitely add an air filter and extra goggles. 

@wielywilly-g Check list. Check/Double check.

@whoops dude Heck no! Do you know what these kids like to listen too?

@GrandkidsMX when we went to one of these events last year to spectate there were as many kids as adults, and they have a couple of kids only classes. And don't disrespect the pit bikes, some of them are monsters. They are also what brought me back into dirt bikes after years away.

Edited by HappyAndy
  • Like 2

Don't forget a good camera. Special moments that deserve to be captured. 

10 is a good age to start... way to go Dad!

• Like 5

Don't overwhelm him with a ton of info all at once lol video heat races ask if he felt good on each run an does he have any questions of anything you seen from the side lines

I was good with mine the first time at the track all the way till he lined up on the gate then I felt like someone dropped a ton of bricks on my stomach lol but he pulled this offIMG_1130.thumb.JPG.a159923e22d5bf68afb3701811a13f1a.JPG

Now he wants to do xc with me!

I think he really liked walkin around track in-between heats an main with shirt off lol

• Like 4

I remember that expression on my sons face! Cool kid you've got there!

Thanx bud he could have brought home dead last an I would have been proud!!
Funny thing was he showed up with a factory bike with a few mods done an when we lined up all ya could see was apex an drr's lol I told him to give them a run for the money an don't give an inch but most of all be careful!!!
He never backed off the whole time an all the time I spent with him helpin an giving tips ,that I thought he was not listening to, paid off!
That night was the hardest I ever seen him ride!
  • Like 1

Even if you think your kid is not listening... keep on talking.... it all seeps in and comes to mind when it's needed!

Whatever the subject.👍

Tell your boy I said his Dad is cool.👍

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fango said:

Even if you think your kid is not listening... keep on talking.... it all seeps in and comes to mind when it's needed!

Whatever the subject.👍

Tell your boy I said his Dad is cool. 👍

You aren't kidding, different subject but we was out on the boat, motor died and as I was in a frantic to get the motor running due to the rocks I was drifting too, my 9 year old was on the bow with paddles doing stress signals with paddles that got the attention of a fellow boater and saved the day(boat). Showed him once and he half hearted listened but was on the ball!!! Very proud that day!

• Like 2

Prepare for the ahole dad who's kid is riding way too fast for the kiddie track, but he doesn't want him to look bad/slow on the big track he should be riding. Ask me how I know... 😉

• Like 3

Prepare for the ahole dad who's kid is riding way too fast for the kiddie track, but he doesn't want him to look bad/slow on the big track he should be riding. Ask me how I know... [emoji6]

Hahhahahhahhahahahhahahaha im sure!!!
  • Like 1