Sign in to follow this  

Starting to look for a bike

Hi there I'm new to the bike world I'm starting  to look to buy my first,  125 2 stroke  preferably a Yz. I don't have the  Knowledge what to look for, and don't have the knowledge how to fix bikes. I'm wondering if there's anybody that can help me look at a bike that, knows what's worth buying and not. I'm willing to help you as well with your service. I'm located in Scarborough Ontario. If anybody can help would be appreciated, please message me with any info thanks. 

Ask a potential seller about what maintenance he did and at what intervals.  Ask when the piston and rings were last replaced.  Ask if there are any mods to the engine -- especially if they require the use of race fuel.  Ask about how the bike was typically used and an estimate of the total hours on the bike and hours since the last engine rebuild.  Also ask how the hours were estimated and if there is a maintenance log for major items.  (I usually use the blank pages at the end of the manual for this or insert a sheet of paper with my maintenance notes near a page with torquing specs for that bike.)  Ask when the silencer was last repacked.  Ask what air filter oil was used and how often the filter was cleaned.  Beware of a badly worn cylinder or bottom end if the seller used gasoline to clean the filter or alternated between No Toil and other filter oils.  (Either of these lead to seams separating and letting dirt into the engine.)  If there is only one air filter then buy a spare and alternate them.

Don't be shy about buying a bike that has been raced -- especially for two-strokes.  A properly maintained race bike is often in better condition that a poorly or very casually maintained play bike.  Ask who did the minor maintenance and where any major work was done.  Ask what tools are needed for maintenance on that bike and be wary if the seller doesn't mention a torque wrench as one of the most important tools.  (BTW, buy a decent one for yourself once you get a bike and some blue (medium strength) thread locker.)

Look for stripped screw and bolt heads and bolts replaced with non-standard or over-sized bolts.  e.g.: see if the seat bolts are the same head size on both sides.  See if the rear sprocket is very worn to the point of "fish-hooking".  It's cheap and easy to replace but is a sign that the bike wasn't maintained.  Check for play/wiggle in all the major bearings: wheel, swingarm, linkage, steering.  Look for oil leaks on the inner fork tubes.

Good luck!

Also ask what pre-mix oil was used and at what ratio.