Sign in to follow this  

using tires till theyre dead?

maybe its just me, but I dont see why guys replace their tires after 1 or 2 rides... way too much money I guess.

I ride at a medium intermediate pace.. maybe a slower end expert some days.  I dont need new tires all the time.

I bought USED tires off kijiji for 25-33$ each. (3 or 4 for $100) with 80%+ life in them.

sometimes I sharpen them with the knobby knife. sometimes I just run them as is.

anyways... heres my current tire... ive got about 8 good/hard rides on it. I dont baby my tires.. I like drifting corners, sliding all over the place, I ride on superrrrr sharp rocky stuff (hence 50% of the lugs being missing) and my bike SCREAMS at all times.. that poor tire is always doing max RPM on the toughest terrain you can find.

I bought it used, rode it 2-3 times.

cut it.rode 2-3 more days, cut it again,

rode twice more... and this is what it looks like... not bad for a $25 tire, $40 knobby knife and a few mins of my time (I can cut a rear in 15 mins... timed myself. full front, every lug, all 4 corners of the lug is 45 mins and possibly not worth it)  now its no new tire, and kinda sucked in the deep sand TBH.. but everywhere else I had NO problem climbing any hill, and lifting the bike in 4th gear.. tubliss system, low PSI.. dead ol tire. and I was STILL unstoppable. so whats the big deal.   hell, I think im gonna flip it (I cant cut it anymore...lugs are too small now, plus, the braking side still has some sharpness to it, so a flip would be worth it IMO... takes me 20 mins) and run it for 2 more rides, do a burnout, then throw it out bald like a street tire!!!  maybe im just cheap/frugal?? maybe yesterday was just the perfect terrain??   I obviously like to squeeze every last drop out of a tire.. I like blowing cash, especially on the bike, but a $140 rear tire twice a week from the local shop isnt cool. 

BUT, I will say this... went out last week, same tire, same trails, after a rain... and I struggled HARD.    so I suppose it all depends what you ride?  in sand, and mud... an old tire sucks haha!!  otherwise I had a great time.

fronts... I havnt got those quite perfected yet.  theyre not worth cutting I dont think.  they last decently long... but rears im hard on.

and no im not broke, and no im not short on tires.  ive got about a dozen 19" rears that are 90% ready to go.  I just dont feel like this one is worth throwing out quite yet haha!! 2 more rides. maybe just 1.

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

Edited by cdf450

I am pretty picky about my front. Rear not so much. I actually prefer a slightly worn rear for some terrain I ride.

I say you have another 10 rides minimal! If I did it for a living sure every ride but I don't and won't at my age so wear them sob's out. Heck flip it around and get a different traction pattern going👍

• Like 1

It comes down to where your riding, if its on snotty muddy trails or sand worn tires really suck but on hard packed dry dirt and rocks they're fine, I try to have newish tires spring and fall when its wet and for scrambles but don't worry too much about riding on worn tires mid summer when its dry and I'm not racing.

My wr250r works best with a 1/2 worn good rear tire, it wont spin enough to corner good when they're new lol. The yz spins non stop with a 1/2 worn out tire tho.