Skid plate installation

IMG_2380.thumb.JPG.f7d818ade2c895a015ddd3175ae7231a.JPGIMG_2379.thumb.JPG.5cf252fe6345c2d61685929f0fdb171f.JPG
Just got my skid plate in the male, but on installation the bolts go halfway on and begin to become very tight and I'm worried about stripping them. All of them go on right and straight so should I force them on?

If yours fits fine, be happy. You're already ahead of the game.

It depends what you mean by tight. If you look at the threads in the brackets, you'll see nylon. It's in there to prevent the bolts from backing off during vibration. So you should experience a fair amount of resistance once the end of the bolt reaches near the end of the threads in the nut. But it shouldn't be enough resistance that you worry about stripping the threads.

I'm guessing that the PO of my bike purchased the same brand plate as yours, since they look nearly identical. I had some fitment problems, and actually had to file some of the holes bigger in order to move the plate around. The left upper edge of the plate was wearing a mark in my stator cover. And yesterday, I had to file the left front edge down, since it was interfering with my new Gnarly pipe. So make sure you're not binding anywhere. This can also make a lot more resistance on the bolts than necessary.

If yours fits fine, be happy. You're already ahead of the game.

It depends what you mean by tight. If you look at the threads in the brackets, you'll see nylon. It's in there to prevent the bolts from backing off during vibration. So you should experience a fair amount of resistance once the end of the bolt reaches near the end of the threads in the nut. But it shouldn't be enough resistance that you worry about stripping the threads.

I'm guessing that the PO of my bike purchased the same brand plate as yours, since they look nearly identical. I had some fitment problems, and actually had to file some of the holes bigger in order to move the plate around. The left upper edge of the plate was wearing a mark in my stator cover. And yesterday, I had to file the left front edge down, since it was interfering with my new Gnarly pipe. So make sure you're not binding anywhere. This can also make a lot more resistance on the bolts than necessary.

I guess since there self locking they will have resistance on entry for the first time then.

• Like 1

Something is up with your mounting.  Those bolts should be flush, they will snag otherwise.  My Ricochet Offroad plate mounts nice and flush and the bolts all seat very well.

20160607_174414_zpsi0gl8bki.jpg

Something is up with your mounting.  Those bolts should be flush, they will snag otherwise.  My Ricochet Offroad plate mounts nice and flush and the bolts all seat very well.

The plate and mounting system fits fine. It is just impossible to screw the screw into the mounting bolt

Just now, S-L-C said:

The plate and mounting system fits fine. It is just impossible to screw the screw into the mounting bolt

I was referring to the cocked angle, but if it just isn't tightened up all the way then that is understandable.

IMG_2381.JPG
I actually just broke the handle on my star screw driver. This can't be right.

You should leave all the fasteners loose and slowly go around and tighten them a little at a time to apply even pressure all the way around.

You should leave all the fasteners loose and slowly go around and tighten them a little at a time to apply even pressure all the way around.

Just tightened the back bolt and one front bolt really good. Went on pretty nice after wd40. Next bolt just f*ing stripped.

Just tightened the back bolt and one front bolt really good. Went on pretty nice after wd40. Next bolt just f*ing stripped.

Not really bad though, so idk what to do.

IMG_2385.PNG
It stripped only on one side in the 2 slots on the screw. If I get a bigger one it may work.

4 hours ago, S-L-C said:

IMG_2385.PNG
It stripped only on one side in the 2 slots on the screw. If I get a bigger one it may work.

I'd throw those star bolts in the trash and just use hex. You can buy 3 of them at any hardware store for $1.20. If they start getting torn up over time, spend just $1.20 again and there will still be at least 2 good sides to get them off.

Edited by silent_matt

I'd throw those star bolts in the trash and just use hex. You can buy 3 of them at any hardware store for $1.20. If they start getting torn up over time, just $1.20 again and there will still be at least 2 good sides to get them off.

I got it to go on by taping in a bigger size. Next time I replace them I will not use star bolts. I really don't understand why we use them.
  • Like 1