Locations to teach new riders

I'm looking for some good open areas to teach family members how to ride.  It used to be there was plenty of open areas all over the place, but now, everything is posted private or you have to buy a membership.   I'm in Denver, Colorado and I usually ride Rampart or some other gnarly trails, and Grand Junction is too far for a day trip.  Honestly,  I think Rampart is entirely too technical for brand new riders.  Any suggestion?  I don't mind having to travel some... 

Several friends with kids have taught them at Four Mile Travel Mgt Area in Chaffee County.

It's more than 100,000 acres of varied terrain. The north side (the area is bisected by US 285) in particular, is a pretty easy place to begin to learn off road riding. Once they've graduated from the open trails and semi-arid (and relatively tame) routes on the north side, they can move over to the more-technical (and Alpine) south side. There they can learn to ride rocks, deep sand and there's even some single track up on the ridge.

Make sure everyone has a spark arrestor and a current OHV sticker...The area is regularly patrolled.

• Like 1

That sounds perfect!  I sure wish we had some spaces like that a little closer to home.   I'd have to make that a weekend trip most likely.

4 mile is a pretty good place for a rookie..yes, stick to North side. It's national geographic map #129. We drive in 285 and go up fs305 to find a spot. Staythetrail.org has a decent map of the area too.

• Like 1

Depending on the part of town you live in, Four Mile is a 1.5-2.5 hour drive.  That location is both good and bad. The distance from the front range keeps it manageable (from a crowd standpoint) on weekends -- but it also makes it a 2-day affair if you want to get in a full day of riding.  

If you camp, there are spaces to pitch a tent or park a trailer. Camping overnight is a pretty good deal, but I think the improved spaces are first-come, first-served. 

The Front Range has grown so fast during the last ten years (100k+ new residents move here every year) that anyplace within a couple of hours is now crowded. Add to that all the trail closures and you end up with  fewer choices that include close and tame. I hate to contemplate this, but CO is looking more and more like CA of 20 years ago...so many people and limited riding areas on the FR, anyway.

I might avoid Memorial Day weekend for my first time out. It will be crowded just about everywhere. 

• Like 1

Rampart's good, just avoid it on the weekends.  Plenty of green- and blue-rated trails, especially right off RRR.

That's about the closest you'll find in town. 

Central City/Blackhawk has some easier areas, but same deal, avoid it on the weekends.

• Like 1

I love Rampart because it's so close to me.  Even on the weekends, there's places that aren't all that crowded but it's just too technical even in the easy stuff for a new new newbie.   I'd hate to scare anyone from such an awesome escape from reality because a tree root jumped up and bit 'em...   I learned at the old sports cycle park across from Bandimere and there was a cool spot in West Arvada by the softball fields that was great to learn.  Man, I miss that!

So try Rampart but down Jackson creek road, probably a 4 mile drive down there from rampart range road but at a certain point where 679 intersects there is a nice open area.  39.268332, -105.078418

6080-6640 W Jackson Creek Rd

Sedalia, CO 80135

39.268332, -105.078418

Here are a couple other areas at rampart that are decent to get some new riders playing around, just use google maps:

- 39.319000, -105.088767

- 39.325696, -105.085427

- 39.327395, -105.087155  Flat rocks parking, good open area and the trails around this lot are easy, just stay on 627 and you should be fine. 

• Try Penrose down 115 just before you hit 50. Lots of open space and its both jeep and bike trails, again open areas for sure. 90 Minutes.  really good spot for newbies. 
    • 38.496661, -105.028567
    • 38.503677, -105.030148
    • 38.494890, -105.032490
  • Texas Creek also has some good open space to learn in, about a 2 hour drive.
    • 38.415475, -105.585909
    • Another good place and has really good open space and some side by side and ATV trails that if you stay low elevation they are pretty easy and good training.
  • Jewel motocross has some open areas and a kids track.
  • Even Thunder Valley MX has some areas that you can work with new riders in. 

Ive used all these areas when my kids were small. 

Edited by obgod3
  • Like 1