Would you even consider a 2013 6-days 350 with 517 hours?

Or am I asking for trouble? I'm shopping around for a new bike. My first contender is a 2015 250 EXC (XCW) with low hours (28) and seems to be in good condition. However, part of me isn't sure a smoker is the right choice for me because I do a lot of multiday rides which require good range and some occasional paved road riding (up to 80km). These aren't dual sport rides, but multiday enduro/off-road rides on singletrack/dual tracks which happen to include some fire roads and when it can't be avoided, a bit of pavement. Carrying moxing oil isn't that fun (I've owned a smoker before). That being said, I love the instant power of a 2-stroke and think a lectron would add to the range considerably, making it a viable alternative.

Now while doing one last round in my area, I saw a 2013 6 Days 350 which looks really mint. Everything on it looked pretty good, until I started her up and had a look at the odometer... 517 hours and 17 000km (or possibly miles!). That seems like A LOT of mileage for a 350. What's weird is that the plastics are very clean and so are the side cases and shift lever/brake pedal. Seat also shows no wear. I mean, it's possible to easily replace all of that, but you rarely see someone who bothers to reaplce the cases before selling his bike when the odo clearly states what it does... Plastics yeah, but why would you change everything if the odo clearly states 517 hours/17000km? Maybe the bike was used a road bike more than anything (but 17000/500=34km/h which seems to be average for a dirtbike). Would I be crazy to even consider this bike? It's an import where I live so its past history is an unknown. Maybe the bike has had two fresh pistons or a complete engine rebuild, many unknowns. However, I do think a 350 would suit my riding style very well. When I started her up it took a little while to crank her (battery was low). A bit of smoke on startup then no smoke. Sign of failing valves or nothing to worry about? What kind abuse can these 350s take? Is 500 hours insane and the bike be written off? I know they're no 500s, but know they should probably last longer than 250s. As a point of reference, both bikes cost around the same.

Here's the 250 (38 hours):
FB_IMG_1494979280757.jpg
FB_IMG_1494979286550.jpg
FB_IMG_1494979292743.jpg

Here's the 350 (517 hours). Cosmetic wear looks about the same but waaay higher mileage:
IMG_20170516_153627_HDR.jpg

There is no history associated with the 6days? That bodywork looks practically new, but the tank looks about the right age. Maybe the engine was replaced? Is it priced to reflect the run time hrs, and likely need for a full rebuild?

Is the seller willing to let you have the local KTM shop do a pre purchase inspection? The dealer could also probably check the numbers on the engine vs the VIN to see if they belong together, they might even identify it as something other than a 6 days. Think of how many phony Shelby mustangs and BMW M cars are out there.

If the price is high and firm, and especially if they won't let you have a dealer perform an inspection, I'd walk away.

I'm assuming just from that Acerbis sticker on the exhaust that he took the stock plastics off when he got it and put the stock ones back on when he listed it to be sold. Also he could of bought a guard for the clutch cover to protect the case or he had a different cover that he took off.

• Like 2

Ok I would go with the 250...

517hrs is definitely doable on a a 13'.    I already have something like 130hrs on my 16' 250x and would be closer to 200hrs had I not taken a winter hiatus to heal an old c spine injury.  It still looks like new...  Like mentioned ^^^^^^ probably took plastics off when new and ran a Rekluse cover or another aftermarket one...   I took my stock wheels off the day I brought it home, they're essentially brand new still.. just because isn't beat up doesn't mean it isn't worn out...  I wouldn't touch that thing unless the seller has full rebuild receipts for top and bottom end as well as forks and shock...    

Edited by Nevada Al
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, I think i'll give it a pass. The 250 has already been sold so I'm SOL again. Always wait too long. A few other options have popped up: two 2011 XCFs: a 250 and 350 XCFs, but no odometer so unknown hours/mileage and they look a bit rough. Felt strong but who knows. One option which just appeared out of nowhere is someone I know is selling their 2016 Beta 300rr (moving up to a 2017 same model). Only 60 hours so should be good for many piston changes. I was never really attracted to Beta because finding parts online is hard and they're also smaller bikes and at 6'5" smaller was never something which attracted me. However, there's actually a dealer in my town who's nice and I've heard nothing but good reports from Beta owners so it's tempting. I just wonder how long the crank will last on a 300rr and how many pistons I can get out of a cylinder. From what I read, most KTM smokers can get 5-6 pistons before the cylinder needs a replate and the cranks last a long time as well (more than that). Betas seem to be good so far but I don't think anyone has really racked up big hours on them yet (like 500+). I ride a lot so curious... 

I might also go to the KTM dealer and see if they can make a deal on one of the several 2016 250EXCF (XCWF) they have leftover.

Take your time and wait for the right bike you will find the bike you want. Also for ktm xcfs try to get 2013+

The newer Beta 300s are phenomenal bikes and I would say way way better bike than either of the two you were looking at... pretty easy to license for the street even.. I have a friend that's had one for a couple years and it's been awesome for him... he is a  A rider and tall as well ..