2017 500EXC-F, 200 lb rider, what suspension settings? Separate front fork settings??

This is going to sound really stupid, but I've never really adjusted suspensions on my bikes. I never did motocross as a kid so all the ins and outs of what to do with a suspension I never learned. I understand the basic concepts of high and low speed compression and rebound damping, but have never messed with them on a bike. Stock suspension feels very soft on the 500.

If I'm mainly riding on sandy trails with some bumpy sections, maybe a small jump here and there, and also doing highway commuting, and NOT changing out the stock suspension, what should I set the stock suspension to? I'm 200 lbs and pretty hard on the throttle 90% of the time. Not sure if that matters.

also, how the heck can one front fork have rebound adjustment and one have compression adjustment? Seems like each fork would have to have both?

Edited by kayakingsteve

move all the settings to Sport or a couple clicks extra. check sag, follow the very well illustrated KTM manual. all my ktms dial in quick but need to be  used for a couple hundred miles and re-adjusted. Do Not make too many adjustments in a single day, also tire pressure is a factor and you will have a comfy and competent ride

52 minutes ago, Airboss/oc said:

move all the settings to Sport or a couple clicks extra. check sag , follow the very well illustrated KTM manual. all my ktms dial in quick but need to be  used for a couple hundred miles and re-adjusted. Do Not make too many adjustments in a single day, also tire pressure is a factor and you will have a comfy and competent ride

Will do. I notice the suspension is sagging more after riding about 400 miles, "breaking in" I think. I know the manual is good, says 12 clicks out for everything is "sport" and 1 turn out on the nut, but what would happen if you put everything on, say, 8 clicks? or turned it all the way in and didn't back it out at all on any of the compression and damping? Would it just be like a rock or could you actually break suspension components? (just wondering, not gonna try it)

your not going to break anything but you buns. the settings close to sport will be fine , I'm 190 no gear and havnt done anything but go 2 more to 10-11 clicks

sag was within speck

7 minutes ago, Airboss/oc said:

your not going to break anything but you buns. the settings close to sport will be fine , I'm 190 no gear and havnt done anything but go 2 more to 10-11 clicks

sag was within speck

We're about the same weight. Will do that and see how it looks. I realized how soft it was the other day when my 160 lb buddy got on the thing and it had way too much sag at 14 clicks all around