First race tips?!

Got my first race this weekend i was thinking about racing two classes vet 25+ beginner and open beginner but decided to just go with them one seeing as it's my first race see how it goes and go from there. The track were racing at is the track I Practice at every weekend and I'm quiet comfortable there as in being able to jump everything and hit every corner with reasonable speed. I'm not sure weather to go with the 25+ class or the open beginner? Also any tips and advice for the first race would be great! I'm excited and nervous all at the same time! Lol

The 25+ may be a more experienced, settled group of riders, as compared to the beginner class; but some of them may be very fast too.

If you choose to ride the beginner class, I would say be cautious/alert on the start going into the first corner.

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED

As far as any tips, hold your line on the track.  Don't look back to see where another riders is behind you and try to move out of their way.  If he is faster than you, make him earn it.  Looking back will not stop him from passing you.  Be careful jumping behind someone who is not experienced.  They make check up up at the last moment, and you could land on them.  If you decide to check up on a jump, don't tarry around when you land, get on the throttle and move on.  Even be careful jumping next to someone too.  Have fun, be smooth, and don't expect to much......oh, and wear all your gear.

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED
  • Like 4

In mx, starts are half the race!....practice them and watch the starter on earlier races to get the timing down. Have a plan for the first turn if you get a good start vs a bad start. Remember to breathe! try to relax and ride your own pace to avoid arm pump.

• Like 1

I'd sign up for at least 2 classes unless you think sitting around in a lawn chair waiting for your moto is fun.

• Like 1

Something I learned that I didn't know at the time, pre internet, start the gate in second gear at 3/4 throttle. Maybe common knowledge now but back then it wasn't and after you blast off your mind will be in heaven and might brake to late. I did the first 3 races and slide thru the corner abit. Maybe my race was to the first corner"I won those battles" 

First race . Take it easy don't kill yourself.  Ride both them classes and guarantee you be doing better by the fourth moto:thumbsup:  you're over 25 so I assume you have to work Monday.  Remember that lol Race to race again :ride: if you ride there you'll probably do well. Just have fun it's addicting 

Thanks for all the advice guys! Yeah I'm 28, been riding sense I was 8 been riding track for 3 years now. Always wanted to race so this year I figured I'd do something to make myself proud lol at the end of the day it's all for fun! If I like it I'll be racing the full series this summer. My main worry is the first turn..just focusing on getting out in front and keeping on the throttle. There's one triple  there that I notice a lot of the guys I would be classed with hold back on but I'm able to clear so I hope I can make up some time with getting over that triple. I'll keep you guys posted both days. I'll be racing sat and sun! 

Edited by DJAY18

Gheeesshhh 150' is standards now! Tires in the dirt is faster than floating,. Rhythm is different I guess

24 minutes ago, DJAY18 said:

Thanks for all the advice guys! Yeah I'm 28, been riding sense I was 8 been riding track for 3 years now. Always wanted to race so this year I figured I'd do something to make myself proud lol at the end of the day it's all for fun! If I like it I'll be racing the full series this summer. My main worry is the first turn..just focusing on getting out in front and keeping on the throttle. There's one triple  there that I notice a lot of the guys I would be classed with hold back on but I'm able to clear so I hope I can make up some time with getting over that triple. I'll keep you guys posted both days. I'll be racing sat and sun! 

Get the holeshot problem solved :thumbsup: second gear almost full throttle use that clutch.  Get your balls on gas cap both feet down.  Some look at pin.  I've always kinda pick spot on gate but look kinda forward and use my perentheal vison reflexes.  Either way you don't that and if can keep front down use clutch don't let off lol if you feel confident get down to the inside shortest point to corner. If you don't get a good jump novice riders tend to blow first corner so sneak down in there when they go wide :thumbsup: and remember anybody can jump a jump that's easy part. Attack the rest of track brake late and you'll be in the mix.  Geuss i should've asked is this track dirt or concrete start? 

Edited by Motox367

Got my first race this weekend i was thinking about racing two classes vet 25+ beginner and open beginner but decided to just go with them one seeing as it's my first race see how it goes and go from there. The track were racing at is the track I Practice at every weekend and I'm quiet comfortable there as in being able to jump everything and hit every corner with reasonable speed. I'm not sure weather to go with the 25+ class or the open beginner? Also any tips and advice for the first race would be great! I'm excited and nervous all at the same time! Lol

I was in a similar situation. I'm 27, been riding off-road since I was a kid but never raced. Started riding moto tracks about a year ago. I did my first race last weekend and did 450d and a free class the had for vets, cops, etc.

I had road the track several times before and could clear everything but the big triple. Normally I ride 30+ minutes at a time. One lap into my first practice I had arm pump like I'd never had. The adrenaline pumping I was pushing harder and i was over jumping everything. After the first practice I was able to calm down and took second in both of my 450d motos and mid pack in the free class.

Best advice I could give is try to relax from the get go, and stay hydrated.

27 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Get the holeshot problem solved :thumbsup: second gear almost full throttle use that clutch.  Get your balls on gas cap both feet down.  Some look at pin.  I've always kinda pick spot on gate but look kinda forward and use my perentheal vison reflexes.  Either way you don't that and if can keep front down use clutch don't let off lol if you feel confident get down to the inside shortest point to corner. If you don't get a good jump novice riders tend to blow first corner so sneak down in there when they go wide :thumbsup: and remember anybody can jump a jump that's easy part. Attack the rest of track brake late and you'll be in the mix.  Geuss i should've asked is this track dirt or concrete start? 

Yeah I'm actually pretty decent in corners. I got my corners down before I started to attemp the big jumps. I got everything put together in my head it's just to actually do it in a race! It's a long dirt start. 2nd gear quarter throttle visualize taking the hole shot head for the inside and hopefully come out in front? Lol 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Yamahace said:

I was in a similar situation. I'm 27, been riding off-road since I was a kid but never raced. Started riding moto tracks about a year ago. I did my first race last weekend and did 450d and a free class the had for vets, cops, etc.

I had road the track several times before and could clear everything but the big triple. Normally I ride 30+ minutes at a time. One lap into my first practice I had arm pump like I'd never had. The adrenaline pumping I was pushing harder and i was over jumping everything. After the first practice I was able to calm down and took second in both of my 450d motos and mid pack in the free class.

Best advice I could give is try to relax from the get go, and stay hydrated.

Yeah I use to suffer with arm pump it's only this year I'm able to ride a solid moto without it. Now I just get sore quads lol I found that I use to ride in too low of a gear around the track (use to use 2nd a lot) and I had really poor suspension set up..also not clearing all the jumps played a part in that as well.. the rougher the ride the worst the arm pump! Now that I'm able to clear everything and hit corners with speed I'm a lot smother and I'm not hanging on for dear life any more! The thing that help most with my arm pump is more seat time! Finally figured out how to ride with my legs instead of using my arms so much.

23 minutes ago, DJAY18 said:

Yeah I'm actually pretty decent in corners. I got my corners down before I started to attemp the big jumps. I got everything put together in my head it's just to actually do it in a race! It's a long dirt start. 2nd gear quarter throttle visualize taking the hole shot head for the inside and hopefully come out in front? Lol 

Hopefully lol but quarter throttle not going to do it.maybe tho novice class never know 

"Corner for dough jump for show."

"Go as fast as you can until you see God, wait 3 seconds then brake."

Not all jumps are faster to clear them.  You can't accelerate when you are in the air.  Some are faster if you short them and throttle off the rest of it.  You'll see pro's do that too.  With experience, you'll be able to look at an obstacle, and know which is best; especially if you know how to soak up a jump face.

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED

Yeah I use to suffer with arm pump it's only this year I'm able to ride a solid moto without it. Now I just get sore quads lol I found that I use to ride in too low of a gear around the track (use to use 2nd a lot) and I had really poor suspension set up..also not clearing all the jumps played a part in that as well.. the rougher the ride the worst the arm pump! Now that I'm able to clear everything and hit corners with speed I'm a lot smother and I'm not hanging on for dear life any more! The thing that help most with my arm pump is more seat time! Finally figured out how to ride with my legs instead of using my arms so much.

I can ride and push myself all day solo or with friends and not get arm pump. First time out there racing a bunch of other people I had it like it was my first time on a bike.

Yeah this is gonna be one hell of a learning experience.. If I do good or bad it's all good. First race, a top 10 would be a good goal to shoot for I think. At least then I'll have something to build on. Im really cofident in practice but then again racing is a whole other ball game. I could see the arm pump coming into play. Any tips on helping with the forearms before the race? I heard some guys say take ibuprofen and it helps I usually rub some a535 before practice along with a good massage. 

• Like 1

Im good during practice not sure how they will be in a race tho!