91 XR200R Rebuild Help

Hi iv been looking at the forums for a few years and finally decided to make an account.

I just took apart my 91 xr200r for the first time because of low compression (60-70psi) and i was scraping off the head gasket and some of it went into the stud/bolt holes. Im worried it will block the oil passage ways. Can anyone tell me how i should go about cleaning these out or can i just leave it as is (does not seem like a good idea).IMG_3103.JPG.aabd99532897f61c993e80354176f5ae.JPG

I also have some marks on the cam journals if that's the correct term and should i be worried about this. The surface is still smooth and i cant see it causing any friction. IMG_3105.JPG.84bd73aa93c5beb3bea424bd338e90f3.JPG

IMG_3104.JPG.ea7ab97005856227a3a80afff4a1533a.JPG

Any help or tips on reassembly or just any tips in general are greatly appreciated,thanks.

Here is a  diagram of the oil passageways i thought others might find help full .

591baa74ae1e6_xr200oilpassagway.jpg.982e8289379e271fbf9d6f2b06f17eef.jpg

Edited by Nic_W

Why does the cylinder look like it has been sandblasted and there are grains of sand on everything........even the cam chain guide and tensioner?:excuseme:

Old School Al

• Like 1

I had this rebuilt by a shop last year when the oil pump went, but I think its because i cleaned the gasket surface with a green scotch bright pad because the head gasket was stuck on really bad, it took me 3 hrs to clean it off.  Im still not done cleaning the gasket surface but thought it looked weird. The sand looking stuff is most likely old gasket material because i haven't blown it off yet. Should i have it re-surfaced? Thanks for the reply.

Edited by Nic_W

Unless there's a bunch of huge chunks it should come out as you change the oil.  When I changed the head gaskets on my pickup I did an oil change after 100 miles then another one after 500 miles, after that there wasn't any more junk in there.  On these you might want to do a change after an hour or so when you first rebuild it, then I'd think it'd be fine.  Make sure you get all those pieces of scotch bright off though.  Abrasives being in your oil and such is never great.

• Like 1