Can you use a Post-it to measure clutch warpage?

I've heard that you can measure the warpage of clutch plates by placing them on a flat surface and running a post-it around the edge, if the post-it slides under on one side but doesn't on another side it's warped.  Has anyone tried this method and gotten results?  Also how flat of a surface does it have to be and are there any household surfaces that would be flat enough (a flat table, etc.)?  I don't have any feeler gauges but i can pick some up if need be.  I'm mostly just wondering about the surface.

-Sincerely, Airborne 

Your counter as long as it's laminate, finished and sanded wood, or stone should be suffice for a surface. You can also try a razor blade if you've got one. If not, the post-it should be fine.

I've heard that you can measure the warpage of clutch plates by placing them on a flat surface and running a post-it around the edge, if the post-it slides under on one side but doesn't on another side it's warped.  Has anyone tried this method and gotten results?  Also how flat of a surface does it have to be and are there any household surfaces that would be flat enough (a flat table, etc.)?  I don't have any feeler gauges but i can pick some up if need be.  I'm mostly just wondering about the surface.
-Sincerely, Airborne 

Pane of glass is the flatest thing in most homes
  • Like 3

A post it can work but keep in mind...they typically measure around .08 and most warp specs are bigger than that.

5 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

That's a big Post It. I just measured one, it's .004"

Sorry..thats .08 metric which is a a little over .003".  I'm a machinist and can measure post its with high accuracy equipment...they are consistently closer to .003" than .004".

Sorry..thats .08 metric which is a a little over .003".  I'm a machinist and can measure post its with high accuracy equipment...they are consistently closer to .003" than .004".

I know I'm messing around. My verniers I have at my desk are only required to be accurate within .002". It was actually closer to .0035". We buy the cheap Post It's, and verniers

17 hours ago, lakeportmike said:

My equipment is accurate to .00006"...the actual post it reading is .003145"   :)

Can I borrow those... i've never been able to get an accurate measurement of ...something and I need to measure to a micron ... i'm making a tiny wiener joke 

• Like 1