Reality check on tire age?

Always like to frequent my local shop if possible even though prices are higher.

Bought some tires from them at full price (they install for "free").  Dropped the wheels off this morning and just picked them back up with the new tires installed.

Was bummed to see these new tires were made over 5 years ago.  I would not accept this in a car tire.

Is this just the way it is with motorcycle tires?  --Although I can't think of a time when I've had such old, new tires.  Is it less of a big deal for motorcycle tires than car tires?

Thanks.

Watch for side wall cracking, some flat track racers age their tires for certain track conditions.

I personally wouldn't run a tire older than 3 yrs. but it kinda depends on what kind of riding you do. regardless...5 yrs. is the max for bike tires!

Any other thoughts on how old is too old for "new" motorcycle tires?

I know the new formulations for car tires are such that they degrade much quicker than they used to.

Does anybody know if it's the same with current generation motorcycle tires?

I'm considering taking these back to the shop where I got them/had them mounted and having them replaced tires that are not 5+ years old.  But that will be a pain in the rear and no doubt will me to overcome much resistance from the shop.

Thanks.

I just purchased tires on bikebandit for my DRz, both were manufactured in within the last 9 months (9 and 4 months). 5 years is unacceptable. My cut-off would be 2 years.

Supporting your local shop is great, but buying tires from them is not. For both my bikes and my trucks, I buy from places that have a high turnover rate in stock. Smaller mom and pop shops will generally have older tires on hand. When my tires arrive, I always check the date codes BEFORE having them mounted. Never had one more then 8 months old when bought.