Sign in to follow this  

Yz85 questions

Hi all, new to thumper talk as this is my first post. I am thinking of picking up a 03 blown up yz85 off craigslist. I have some experience maintaining a ttr125 and a Suzuki mini 90. If I get the bike it will be my first top end that I've done. I've looked at articles and YouTube videos about doing top ends by rev Zilla and rocket mtn atv mc. not planning to ride mx with it but what are some tips to making a new top end last longer. (Weisco pro lite pistion) I know I'm not gonna get 100+ hours out of it but would like to get at least 60.

Thanks all!

Agreed, until it's fully dis-assembled and inspected (top to bottom)

you have no idea of the full extend of the damages and repair costs.

And since you can't test ride it,

you also have no clue if the gearbox and clutch are fully functional.

On top of engine issues,

keep in mind a 14 year old MX race bike will very likely need some much needed TLC:

neglected cables, bearings, suspension fluids/bushings etc. etc.

Projects like this are more successful when you take the bike apart down to the frame and 

closely inspect every single item for wear.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

So I contacted the seller and he said the Pistion is destroyed and the bike is seized. I know it will need a new Pistion but will it need a new jug. He is selling it for 600 btw otherwise the bike is good mechanically and just had the bottom end changed. (Can see new gaskets)

Edited by Alex Duda

Way to much money, I picked up a good shaped 85 for my son for $800, as far as the cylinder there's no way of knowing til it's apart

I meant to add, ours was an 08 model for $800