Wanted to know sighs when to adjust vavles or shim

I just got a 05 yzf 250 first liquid fourstroke i have owned i dont know to much about it had two strokes all my life still getting use to everything but it takes my bike about 4 kicks to start cold is that normal im use to 2 strokes that start on one alot of people will think this is dumb lol just curious and it can be be about the same when hot 

• Like 1

Well, you should listen to the airbox when you're riding.  When the valves are getting tight, there will be a slightly shrill whistle or chirping coming  from the intake tract.  At that point, it will be getting hard to start hot.  You may be able to bump start it, but you're already on borrowed time at that point.

Are you using the correct cold start drill.... 3 - 4 twist of the throttle to pump fuel into the intake from the fuel pump?  Choke on..?  Just had to ask.

Umm not really i will try that when its hot it will start like 3 kicks but i have not tryed the throttle pumps like i said new to the fourstroke world 

And yes i choke it 

• Like 1

Like the bike has alot of power so i shouldn't be worried about anything right?

When the valves are out of adjustment is a sign you should adjust them. Really get a manual and pull the cam cover and check. Takes maybe an hour if you havent done it before.

• Like 3

And it takes proper tools.  Key is a tapered feeler gauge, a mic to measure shims with, and the shims if you want to change them.  Most shops will carry a selection.  You should be able to buy them for $5.00 each.  Or do what most people do and buy a set for the 250, about $75.

When to know - I think it is safer and a better maintenance process to regularly check the valves. I think 15-20 hours is a good rule of thumb. 05 is pretty easy to pull the cover and check.

• Like 1

The sign is when they no longer measure within spec.

If you find they do need adjusted, you need to check them regularly as a precaution. If you find that they are continually moving when you need to replace them and have the seats cut.

Ok thanks everyone the bike has been taken care of all its life every season had a full tune up 

If the bike is hard starting due to valve clearance, then it's already too late. I check mine every 30-35 hours. It takes less than 30 minutes.