YZX Racetech Suspension

I just purchased a YZX and need to have the suspension re-sprung due to my size. I used the Racetech calculator as I have done in the past for other bikes. They gave me their recommendation for spring rates but I am a little apprehensive. I was unable to select a YZX as the bike that I rode. I had to choose a YZ. I realize the part numbers are the same for both bikes. 

I am wondering if I should go with the recommendation from Racetech or if anyone has any experience with different spring rates from what Racetech recommended.

I have searched the forum for an answer to my question and haven't found it. If someone could point me in the right direction that'd be great.

If it's not on the Forum then here is my question

Thanks!

Weigh 260lbs. I selected enduro/trail for my riding area and I selected B class rider. May not be an accurate representation of my speed since I have never actually raced. But I selected that for my 06YZ and have been happy with the results

Well how much difference is the recommendation from your 06?  They are the same exact forks and shock aside from valving... I went with the same springs rates that were in my previous yz250 Factory Connection off-road setup... .46kg fork springs and 5.6kg rear, the only difference from FC to RT recommendation was a 5.6 vs 5.8 shock spring...   forks were the same..  btw my fork rate is sweet but could go with a 5.8 rear for better sag numbers.  I'm 215-225lbs ...:facepalm:usually 

Edited by Nevada Al
  • Like 1

I generally like the RT spring recommendations; they have worked out well for me on track bikes and dirt bikes.  But play with age, skill, terrain specs and see how they change.

I wouldn't enter B class race speed without any racing experience; you're just asking for too-stiff springs.

• Like 1

Why not just go through a suspension tuner to buy your springs?  The price will be the same, and they can help you select the proper rate.  The tuner I use will even test new springs to verify the rate.  He tells me that 10% variance is common, and if you happen to wind up with springs for each end that vary in opposite directions, you can wind up with a real  imbalance, even though the "rate" is proper. 

I find for trail riding racetech comes pretty stiff unless your racing.... If not I would lean to the softer side unless you are going to mix in track riding or dessert racing... That being said I have loved their set up over the years knowing that info... I do like a plusher/softer ride with a sharp bottoming resistance... I would find a suspension tuner that enjoys riding the terrain you do... I find that really helps getting what you want... Even better if you can ride with them once or twice...