2017 Baja 1000 here we come.

With a little arm twisting I was able to talk my good buddy Eric and another guy we ride with Mick into racing the 1000. 

It went like this. Hey Eric this year is the 50th anniversary of the Baja 1000 and you'll also be turning 50 so I think this is a sign we should finally do this. His reply was a simple "Hell yes!". Since than we've created a team of 4. We've all deposited some cash and booked our rooms for the week in November. Which was hard to do as everything is pretty much sold out. 

I know it's still early to post but as fast as life is going these days it'll be here before we know it. 

Anyways we started a Facebook page if you wanna follow along. https://m.facebook.com/Tortuga-Racing-1353541868059985/

Keep the smart a$$ comments to yourself. We are all experienced riders, understand the crazy amount money we are going to spend, and physical demand it will require. 

But if any of you experienced guys wanna chime in with advice, we are all ears. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ehall said:

Are you planning on using a pit service like baja pit? Seems like that would make a peninsula run easier. 

Yes sir. We've already spoken to a few companies and we are leaning towards Baja pits. 

Good luck! This will be a good year to race, 1300 miles. Not ever knowing where I will end up pre running, I plan to camp the whole time. My buddy from ensenada always tells me I will someday end up with a knife in my neck camping, but I guess I will cross that road when I pull the knife out

• Like 3

Very cool. I will be camped near the end of the race at Punta Conejo on the Pacific side. There is mag 7 and baja pits there.

Is your team doing any pre running? If so stop by. You cant miss us. Lots of gringos with toy haulers and toys. Cervaza and gas too!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, o3dave said:

Very cool. I will be camped near the end of the race at Punta Conejo on the Pacific side. There is mag 7 and baja pits there.

Is your team doing any pre running? If so stop by. You cant miss us. Lots of gringos with toy haulers and toys. Cervaza and gas too!

We will be prerunning. Starting Saturday the 11th. 

Thanks for the offer, hopefully we run into you down there. 

• Like 1

Congratulations on the journey! Been trying to talk my father-in-law to do this. He just throws another finishers pin at me LOL. What # are you going to be running look for you as you come through Bahia. We usually park at the top of the hill as you come out of Bahia. Great spot to watch the TT come through at night. Good Luck and be safe.

• Like 1

On May 17, 2017 at 7:04 AM, trackmaster said:

Good luck! This will be a good year to race, 1300 miles. Not ever knowing where I will end up pre running, I plan to camp the whole time. My buddy from ensenada always tells me I will someday end up with a knife in my neck camping, but I guess I will cross that road when I pull the knife out

Circle the wagons and sleep with a machete.  Crazy long race this year!

On 5/19/2017 at 10:03 PM, Jbstevens44 said:

Not all the way to la Paz. Probably just the first half or a little more depending on the course. 

You start off sounding serious about this race - and then you don't plan to run the second half?  What's up with that?  Halfway in, tired, things start to go wrong, racing in the dark, caught by the trucks,  you need to be prepared by knowing where you're going and what to expect.  You may need to change your rider splits if there is a particularly tough section, your chase crews need to have plans for the bottom half as well.  

To improve your chances of finishing you to do a complete pre run.

• Like 6