The New Competition

5 hours ago, stevethe said:

You have been warned. 

I understand that is a pretty good engine but why add more moving parts?  There is no doubt a shim-under-bucket valvetrain is great for high revs but there is no need in our context.  One of the things I love about our engine platform is simplicity and compact size.

• Like 1

I understand that is a pretty good engine but why add more moving parts?  There is no doubt a shim-under-bucket valvetrain is great for high revs but there is no need in our context.  One of the things I love about our engine platform is simplicity and compact size.

But is it available in the USA....

I need to find out the wrist pin and the Bore size....

My contact as Wiseco has been very helpful to me over the years.  Not only did he get oversize pistons added to CRF230 offering in USA he also worked with me on SRX600 piston.  He is now working to see if they have a match for an old SRX250 piston for a fellow rider.  He created an RMA and I had the SRX250 owner send the piston directly to him.  So far it has been very good working with this company.

I should also note Wossner has been very helpful to me as well.  Kind of surprising given the small market these bikes fall in...

1 hour ago, VortecCPI said:

My contact as Wiseco has been very helpful to me over the years.  Not only did he get oversize pistons added to CRF230 offering in USA he also worked with me on SRX600 piston.  He is now working to see if they have a match for an old SRX250 piston for a fellow rider.  He created an RMA and I had the SRX250 owner send the piston directly to him.  So far it has been very good working with this company.

I should also note Wossner has been very helpful to me as well.  Kind of surprising given the small market these bikes fall in...

What's Wiseco's explanation for an 11:1 piston being only 10:1 ?  

It's much easier to shave a piston down than to add . . . .

2 hours ago, Baja Rambler said:

What's Wiseco 's explanation for an 11:1 piston being only 10:1 ?  

It's much easier to shave a piston down than to add . . . .

According to Wiseco on 01/26/2015:

"Ok, the baseline value for the CRF230F was a measured 9:1 CR using the stock piston, .020” deck, and .020” gasket. Our dome brings the engine up to an honest 10.8:1 CR. So provided your seeing these deck numbers, and the head is 25cc volume, you should be netting this CR statically. I guess I am not too surprised if your measuring less, so take away .3 CR points and our part will be 10.5:1, everything being the same."

Since we know our deck and head gaskets are actually thicker we no longer get 10.8:1.  Perhaps when Wiseco designed this piston the early CRF230s had tighter tolerances and/or different dimensions.

I can only assume Wossner's "11:1" piston design suffered same or similar consequences.

Edited by VortecCPI

According to Wiseco on 01/26/2015:

"Ok, the baseline value for the CRF230F was a measured 9:1 CR using the stock piston, .020” deck, and .020” gasket. Our dome brings the engine up to an honest 10.8:1 CR. So provided your seeing these deck numbers, and the head is 25cc volume, you should be netting this CR statically. I guess I am not too surprised if your measuring less, so take away .3 CR points and our part will be 10.5:1, everything being the same."

Since we know our deck and head gaskets are actually thicker we no longer get 10.8:1.  Perhaps when Wiseco designed this piston the early CRF230s had tighter tolerances and/or different dimensions.

.030 deck with .043 gasket....all that I have ever seen...

4 or 6 mm stroker takes care of that.

Terry can get your engine to a nice .038 deck with any piston or gasket combination you desire.

• Like 1