A family friend has a son of 9 and weighs approximately 95 lbs. He has some experience but not a lot, and not so good.  A 65 just seemed a little small, but an 85 seems too powerful. Preferably want to stick MX only. What would be a good bike for him?

Edited by Jordan Ricketts

You wouldn't teach a kid to drive in a Ferrari, probably best he learns to ride a motorcycle on something milder than a competition only race machine. You didn't mention his height but I would suggest either a used XR/CRF80 or 100 depending on which fits him best.

My son moved to a 250 last year at 14. Yahooo, I don't have to buy him anymore bikes! On that note, kids outgrow bikes fast. He moved to the 85 at 10 yrs. He sold his pw 80 and the kx 65 was take from us by a thug with a gun. That's another story though. If his legs can get over it then get the bigger bike. Not necessarily the 85. Maybe a ttr 125 or similar. If you buy it right you won't lose any money in a year and it also let's them learn to ride without the high maintenance then unleash the fury.

Second thought. It really depends on how long his legs are. And no kid ever said, "I wish my dad didn't get me that bad ass race bike!"

My 11yr old daughter has built kx85 now, previously she had a klx110 she got when she was 8yr old And learned to ride.....I can tell you an 85 or even 65 would not have worked even a year ago...    

Buying multiple bikes is just part of it...kids grow and so does their skills with time...  Buy used, I got that klx110 for $700 and sold it for $900 after two years of use...   Bought her an 04 kx85 with blown top end for $600 and bought a new kx100 jug, piston and cdi for it... when she grows a bit more I can uncork it and put a kx100 swing arm and wheels on it...  

Also depends on the kid... I coach kids in different sports and on a whole It does seem kids are very pampered and tender nowadays.    Very easy to scare a kid with the wrong bike...  or you might have a kid that isn't scared of chit and likes adrenaline dumps..lol.   

Edited by Nevada Al