2017 drz 400sm

Hello all, new to the Sumo world after switching from sport bikes and my recent Harley. I have done a few things to my bike already (tst integrated rear light, under bar mirrors, short clutch and brake levers, jd jet and 3x3 to do soon) and a couple more mods to come.

Well the question i have is i removed the CS sprocket cover to check that end over to do the locktite fix and noticed the teeth from the sprocket have chewed into the swing arm plastic chain guard where it wraps around the swing arm beside the sprocket. Is this normal?, like its not getting worse, it just looks like it has bit in as much as it will but i was wondering is the plastic too thick where its beside the sprocket and now that it has been chewed into a bit it wont get worse?. Just making sure nothing is up or misaligned lol. 

Edited by ElectricRocker

How big is your rear sprocket? From what I gather there is a very tight window of fitment before you start getting those kind of issues.

IMG_6564.JPG

Zoom in and look. Doesn't look like she'll bite in anymore but was wondering lol ya know since she's brand new with only 146 kms now

• Like 1

That's strange, my 16T doesn't even do that. But if they're still plastic between the sprocket and swingarm, I wouldn't worry about it.

Remember to file down your shifter!

• Like 1

That's strange, my 16T doesn't even do that. But if they're still plastic between the sprocket and swingarm, I wouldn't worry about it.
Remember to file down your shifter!

I sent off a pic to the dealer I purchased it from so he can show his top guy. And what is this file the shifter down about?

The stock shifter is very sharp, so it's recommended to file it down and buy case guards. It's easy to puncture the stator case otherwise.

post-18676-0-44001100-1328274740.jpg.22c0dabe42c713fa58d7ee92f7012593.jpg

The stock shifter is very sharp, so it's recommended to file it down and buy case guards. It's easy to puncture the stator case otherwise.
post-18676-0-44001100-1328274740.jpg.22c0dabe42c713fa58d7ee92f7012593.jpg

I see what you're talking about now thanks! Wow she ever sharp.

So anyone else with info regarding my post and picture of the stock sprocket that bit into the plastic?

Well that is a 15T CS, so it shouldn't happen. I wonder if a rock or branch got caught in there for a few revolutions.

• Like 1

Well that is a 15T CS, so it shouldn't happen. I wonder if a rock or branch got caught in there for a few revolutions.

Yeah you never know. But upon further inspection. The guard is installed correctly and there is a groove from factory which looks like they did this so the sprocket rides in. But mine I guess has a bit of slop at the front(the plastic) I can wiggle it around and pull it out a bit. I bounced up and down with the cover off and can see how the thicker part of the guard turns upward with the swingarm movement so it's probably the nature of the beast. I'm sure there are more out there on this forum, just look closely. Like I said bike is new. I'm not too concerned now after investigating further. I'll just pop the cover off Ina few more hundred k's I guess and re check.

Did you check to make sure the bolts didn't vibrate out?

You talking about the pivot shaft or the small screws for the guard? If either yes I have

You talking about the pivot shaft or the small screws for the guard? If either yes I have

Probably just the part are on the high end of the manufacting tolerances.

I measured the stock sprocket I have the best I could, with odd teeth you can't really measure the od easily with hand tools and got 3.207". The od of your sprocket may be bigger. As long as the tooth profile and Pitch Diameter is correct that's all that really matters, assuming you have enough clearance for the tips, which you do now.

Mine did it initially but stopped any further gouging and has been fine since an no damage to the swingarm in 40,000 mi.

Good to know thanks!
Probably just the part are on the high end of the manufacting tolerances.

I measured the stock sprocket I have the best I could, with odd teeth you can't really measure the od easily with hand tools and got 3.207". The od of your sprocket may be bigger. As long as the tooth profile and Pitch Diameter is correct that's all that really matters, assuming you have enough clearance for the tips, which you do now.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking also and yeah looks good to go now. Thanks!
  • Like 1

New to the drz world as well. I don't think it's a big deal as long as it doesn't dig deeper however my 2017sm doesn't have any cuts into that plastic. I did only ride with stock sprocket for about 2 weeks I swapped it for a 14th.