how do you teach rear brake usage?

My 10 year old just started riding a kx65. We did the throttle stop mod and had a great first day of learning the clutch and kick starting it. One thing I noticed is that she won't use the rear brake, which I don't really like. She will grab the front or pull in the clutch, which is effective for now but doesn't really inspire my confidence. Lucky she has only hit the power band once and quickly backed out of it lol. I learned the hard way with a day of wet woods riding/falling on my first day and don't really want her to have to go through that... even though it is a good teacher. any tips?

18446859_10210827907146881_3130210443853456790_n.jpg

• Like 1

Remove the front brake lever? That would force the issue.  That said, make sure the rear brake lever is adjusted right.  Maybe the lack of use is due to it being too low.

I have the same problem with my boys. I have added a little brake pedal extension to make it fatter. I also have them just sit on the bike and practice using the controls (including rear brake), as well as just continually reminding them to use both brakes and not just the front all of the time. Hopefully overtime it will sink in.

On May 17, 2017 at 0:24 PM, 4Sevens said:

Remove the front brake lever? That would force the issue.  That said, make sure the rear brake lever is adjusted right.  Maybe the lack of use is due to it being too low.

I agree, remove the front lever for a while, force her to use the rear. Grabbing a handful of front brake got me nothing but over the handlebars my first year of riding and even now, it's been so hard to break the habit. You don't want that to be her panic default. 

My oldest never touched the rr brake, beginning w/ his 50cc yrs all the way up to his super-mini KX100 yrs, or 5 yrs of dirt riding.

He raced in kids' mini-mx races, mini-hare scrambles, mini-enduros, and then his first real 12 mile enduro, and not once did he use the rr brake. IT drove me CRAZY. But guess what? He was quite confident enough using one brake to come home w/ a medal, something I couldn't do using both brakes, a rekluse auto clutch, a bike w/ really expensive kit B suspensions, and huge dia. tires. 
But once he moved up to his 1st adult size dirtbike, HE decided it was time to use the rr brake, and the rest is history.

IMHO....If your rider's just starting out, the learning curve is already HUGE... there's a ka-zillion new skills to master right off the bat  just to keep the bike rolling on 2 wheels. It's A-OK to leave off the "use the rr brake!" lecture for now. Wait until they're comfortable w/ riding that new bike, get a set of skills firmly in place, and comfortable  w/ going fast, and then you can offer up the need to use the rr brake.

• Like 2